How Thin Is To Thin?

I was thinking it would be cool to make a thin bodied guitar.

Taking into account pup depth and such the thinest I could go is about 1 1/4". But that would leave only a tiny bit of wood beneath the neck. But if I had a neck through it wouldn't matter, right?

The question is, would it be strong enough to have a neck through only 1 1/4" thick?

I think this might have been brought up before but I can't think of anything to search for.

Edited by Godin SD

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17804

I Love The Way These Thing's Look :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

looks REAL nice, but does that 12th fret inlay seem crooked to you guys?? Must be me...

I was thinking of either doing a laminate neck and finishing it in natural, or a single peice neck and paint the whole thing white and do a EVH style thing on the front and headstock with black and red stripes.

Either way I'll do CF rods.

I'm gonna do a maple neck with alder wings. I like nice bright guitars. I'll probably re-use all the electronics and parts from the first guitar I did to save some money. Because that thing is well...er...far from perfect :D

looks REAL nice, but does that 12th fret inlay seem crooked to you guys?? Must be me...

I was thinking of either doing a laminate neck and finishing it in natural, or a single peice neck and paint the whole thing white and do a EVH style thing on the front and headstock with black and red stripes.

I'm gonna do a maple neck with alder wings. I like nice bright guitars. I'll probably re-use all the electronics and parts from the first guitar I did to save some money. Because that thing is well...er...far from perfect :D

Just remember thats to thin a guitar to use with a floyd rose (I think the min thickness is 1.75")

Just remember thats to thin a guitar to use with a floyd rose (I think the min thickness is 1.75")

only if you recess it.