Beech Wood

I bought a load of Beech blocks today, some beech veneer (several huge sheets), some maple blocks..

I'm starting another es335 along with the other one.

This time I'm using the beech as the sustain block and the sides - has anyone used beech before..I think hyunsu used some for a strat and curtis p has worked with it before..

I'll be using it in conjunction with sapele neck and lacewood board. The laminate top will be mahogany front and back..and I'll use the beech veneer on the top..

I like beech because of it's properties - rock hard, nice to cut - very clean to cut has a similar feel to hard maple..perhaps harder..nice to finish..

Any opinions on beech.. - especially as use of sustain block?

Cheers,

Ian

<<edit>> - it's European Beech btw...not american beech

Beech is a really, really nice wood to work with. It can even be used for solid body guitars. It gives a bright tone, and you can get some really screaming highs when playing.

I used beech to build my Les Paul. At first I didn't fancy the sound, but I got used to it, and now it's a killer guitar!

• 1 month later...

I have built a 5-string electric bass with sound cambers. The chambers were mostly there to reduce weigh. My pieces of beech were VERY heavy. I did a sandwich body with about 22mm thick pieces (4 for the top and 4 for the bottom half). I then hollowed out the chambers in both halves. The beech I got was quite heave in my outer bits.

The neck is made from maple laminates with thinner oak strips between the maples. Also graphite reinforcement bars.

Pickups are active EMGs, one J-bass and one P-bass.

I would say the sound is a little bit less top end than I expected it to be. But for a bass it is a killer sound, especially with the very rigid and stable neck and the EMGs.

Sounds like an interesting project

Peter