Spray Gun Vs Rattle Cans For Clear Coating

kench

Hello. I have been working on my guitar which I finished with shellac and clear nitro-lacquer few months ago. I used shellac to give warmth to the maple and then sprayed clear nitro to give gloss (wasn't brave enough for french polish). But because of the alchohol i used for dissolving shellac, the color looked a bit greenish amber.. It annoyed me, so last week I sprayed reddish brown on sides to make it a sunburst.. Well it looks great!

Anyway.. I have to put clear coats again.. I used only aerosol cans by far. But I can't find a decent clear nitro aerosols anymore. I had used CLOU before which were great. The ones I just tried spray very very bad. Needs a lot of level sanding. And sometimes they spray semi-solid pieces of lacquer!!

But I was wondering.. if I buy a *cheap* spray gun (around $25) would it be better then spraying clear coats with aerosols? Because I've never tried them before and the weather is too hot and extremely humid these days. Btw.. I have an access to a 120lt compressor. But no moisture traps or anything.

Or should I go for acrylic based Duplicolor cans? They say I can use it on nitro coats.. but can't use nitro on acrylic.

Stick with the cans. If you can find a decent gun for $25 good for you. For anything worthwhile you can expect to pay $200-$300 CDN. Plus you will absolutely need a professional moisture trap with that kind of humidity (the inline ones only soak up so much water)

Yeah if you can find a cheap gun go for it! IMO, rattlecan clear just plain SUCKS when you start to use a gun set-up.

Yes, you need a moisture trap. One of them will run you about 10-20 USD.

Go for it! :D

EDIT:Another name for moisture trap is a "poly bowl filter". It gets rid of water, dirt, and grease in your lines.

Edited by AlGeeEater

do you have access to deft nitro?it is pretty decent stuff.

Unfortunately no. I've heard they are good. The only decent nitro aerosols were CLOUs (from Germany) here.. but I can't find them anymore either.

The cheap aerosols are around $2.50 here... but they are really bad stuff. Sometimes they spray solid pieces. CLOUs were around $15 per can but they were very good.

Thanks for advices.. I think I will try a spray gun. Not only for my guitar project. I think it will be usefull for lots of paint job.

If you can order online www.reranch.com has aerosol nitro.

Well. I'm in Turkey. I don't think there's any legal way they can send flammable products over-seas. For an individual customer at least :D

Ah...that presents a problem. I dont know what to tell you.

I haven't used a $25 spray gun, and some bad guns can be very bad. You might find a good one though. I really hate rattle cans, so I would try to find a decent spray gun. If you do use aerosol cans, get a couple and switch frequently. When the cans get cold (from the propellent), they spit and clump more.