Graphtech Floyd Saddles

Scott Rosenberger

I was fortunate enough to be a tester for the GraphTech Floyd Saddles. I was sent a pair about a year ago, and installed them on my RG-565 (Edge trem). I'm kinda surprised more folks at Jemfest didn't notice these.

The one thing that I like the most:

THEY'RE WARM!!!

Not necessairly tone-wise, but temperature wise. I rest my hand on the bridge while playing, so for me this was the first thing I noticed. VERY comfy.

On Edge trems, the fit is TIGHT, very tight. Almost a press-fit. They're also lightweight (duh); about 1/2 of what the original steel/zinc saddles were.

Oh, and be careful when clamping down on the string. The graphite threads can be stripped easier than the metal saddle threads.

The sustain is still there, maybe an EJ-tad diminished, but I certainly can't hear it. Haven't broken a string at the saddle since installing them.

NOTE: These will not work on LoPro-style FR trems. GraphTech *might* do something for them in the future, but don't hold your breath.

Same goes for a piezo-equipped saddles/system for these. It's considerably more complicated than the GHOST system they currenly have.

Don't worry guys- I'm on your side. I petition them for piezo-ready, LoPro saddles every chance I get. :D

(those who know me understand that one...heh heh)

Same goes for a piezo-equipped saddles/system for these.  It's considerably more complicated than the GHOST system they currenly have. 

I've got a Brand new Ghost preamp sitting in my parts box (Got it cheap) I'm seriously Jonesing for a piezo equipped Floyd. I'f they come out with it I'm putting it on my doubleneck jem :D

Man, Kev's the luckiest guitarist on Earth! He has the only guitar equipped with not only a Tremol-No, but GraphTech Floyd saddles as well!

An "EJ-tad", I love it! I bet EJ's tech has fun screwing around with the guitar just to see if he really notices if he swapped out one of the saddle height screws with a stainless one some evening.

I had the first set of these after Lea (from Graphtech's) own set. They were on the NAMM Leviathan. They are very cool, they made a couple small changes from the ones I have, but they work very nicely.

Don't hold your breath for a piezo version, I've been talking with Lea for quite some time about that and the problem is the baseplate for the floyd has to be machined. No big deal if you have access to the right equipment, but the hardened baseplates aren't easy to just drill for the piezo element wires. The only way they're considering offering them is if they can offer them with a full baseplate that is machined for those saddles. Otherwise it is not a DIY project, it's barely a guitar tech project if machining is involved.

But, if you just want to have a smoother saddle, and a nice comfy feeling, then these are the ticket :D

DAMN! I'd GLADLY pay to have a slot machined into the baseplate on my floyds in exchange for the benefits of haveing a piezo equipped Floyd

maybe they should consider a baseplate exchange program where you send your non slotted baseplate back to them like a core charge at the auto parts store

Edited by Scott Rosenberger