My New Guitar Came And...

Hughes

finally, my new guitar came today (mockingbird) but the low E and A string buzz. i know with my bass i adjusted the saddles and it quit buzzing so i was wondering if the same thing would work on my guitar? my bridge saddles currently look like this.... http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...etal/bridge.jpg

dont laugh at my drawing either, i couldnt find a better way to show :D

Edited by Hughes

umm...yeeeeaaahhhh.

look,dude...you have been here a long time to not know that the saddle position you just drew deals with the intonation,not the action.i hope that you are learning something on this site...because frankly,this question at this point from you seems to scream at me that you have not read up on even the basic setup tutorials on the main site.

researching not only benefits you,but us as well.

ok, iam looking at the one tutorial about intonation setup and it says

"Start by tuning up your guitar to proper pitch, now check your High E string tuning at the 12th fret.

If your tuner shows that your sharp then adjust the High E saddle on the bridge slightly further away from the neck."

now i did the 12th fret with my tuner but the needle doesnt move. Whats going on?

(is this a logical question?)

im trying to ask the store what they suggest...maybe get them to set the guitar up for free because it was also filthy so maybe they will give me a free setup?

yes...i think you should get them to set it up for you.you are off on the wrong track.first off,there is an order to do those setup steps in,and you are skipping around.

i really think you need a hands on kind of training before you will understand the way a guitar works....see if you can find someone RELIABLE near you to show you personally how to perform a proper setup.

nah its ok i dont take any offense to answer your question about how i plan on building one was to get used to the tools and such, i know i need to research more everyone knows im terrible for not researching...

so yeah im just gonna stop posting here for a while so i can research and get out of your hair for a while

nah its ok i dont take any offense to answer your question about how i plan on building one was to get used to the tools and such, i know i need to research more everyone knows im terrible for not researching...

so yeah im just gonna stop posting here for a while so i can research and get out of your hair for a while

String height affects intonation also. First set your string height... to stop the buzzing, then set the intonation.

String height affects intonation also. First set your string height... to stop the buzzing, then set the intonation.

which is why it is important to do setup steps in order.

The setup is probably just fine. He probably just needs to learn how to hold down the strings hard enough to prevent them from rattling when he plays a power chord.

It's a new guitar. Give yourself a few days to get to know it.

ok i can understand you guys saying i dont know proper setup but pretty much saying i SUCK at guitar is insulting. plus, in my oppinion, a bass player should have no problems holding down electric guitar strings....oh and i also played my friends which is also new and his sounds perfect so...yeah like i said im gonna research all this for a few weeks/months/years

Hughes, I'm not saying you suck, I'm saying you need to practice a little more with YOUR guitar before you start screwing with the setup.

Case in point: In May I bought my first Les Paul. I've always played Strats exclusively. For the first couple of weeks I had squeaky chords and rattling bass strings until I got used to the shorter scale. For some people, it's not a problem, for me it was. I can tell you that I don't suck at playing the guitar, and I'm sure you don't either. Just give it a couple weeks to get to know you--and then start playing with the setup.