Common Good Strumming Methods, Types, Techniques?

gyaradoz

Hi,

Does anyb knows which site there is where there are many common good strumming methods, types, techniques?

I know nuts abt strumming ( I know abt the chords though.. )

but wud realli like to learn them..

Pls help

Thank You

Regards

gyaradoz

Have a look around on Harmony Central, there's plenty of stuff on actually playing guitar there - you're not likely to find much here I'm afraid.

What exactly do you need to practice? Do you have a good sense of rhythm? ie. can you maintain a steady beat with the music? Using fingers or guitar pick?

If its a rhythm issue then try using a metronome.

I prefer thinner picks for strumming. When I try thick picks they get hung up and fly out of my fingers across the room. Practice up and downstrokes, mix them up while still maintaining a steady rhythm. Muting strings, ie. loosening pressure from chording hand is an essential part of controlling your strumming. As mentioned, palm mutes (with the other hand) help to maintain control as well.

I also strum with my thumb and also with my index finger. Its a banjo technique called "frailing" where the index is bent at the second joint and the rest of the hand is left flat.

I learned on acoustic guitar. For that matter I didn't get my first electric until 15 years later. So learning how to strum was high on the priority list for me. Consequently, I have a friend who has been playing as long as I have. But the first guitar he picked up was an electric. He learned how to play melody and improvises quite nicely. But when he got his first acoustic he couldn't strum worth a tinker's damn. :D It was sort of unfair when we jammed with acoustics because while I held a steady rhythm he could improvise, but he couldn't maintain a steady rhythm for me to practice on what I needed to learn.

Anyway, try practicing a few songs where you can mix up techniques. A HORSE WITH NO NAME is a VERY good one to learn on. Only 2 chords so you can put most of your concentration into your strumming hand. Before you know it you will be ripping thru Pinball Wizard!

And when the man asked the busker (street musician) on the corner, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" The answer was always, "Practice, practice, practice." :D

Edited by Southpa

Best advice I ever had was to keep your wrist loose.. Almost a flicking action.. It may look a little gay but it'll get your strumming sounding a lot more natural and fluid.. The problem most people have when learning to strum is that they tend to stiffen up their wrists, making the strumming sound forced and awkward.. As a rough guide, your bicep should be doing the work, not your fore-arm.. In other words, when you've been strumming for a long time, it should be your bicep that aches, not your fore-arm.. Naturally, a good sense of rhythm helps tremendously..

By the way, I'm of the school of thought that one should learn to strum on the acoustic.. In fact, I usually make my "students" learn all their basics on the acoustic before going on to the electric.. In my honest opinion, this tends to make their electric playing more controlled, especially when it comes to damping and muting strings.. But I digress.. :D