Finishing A Warmoth Body

Yeah, I didnt build this body but im finishing it. I just ordered all gold hardware today, heres a few pics. This is my first guitar ive really done major stuff to... and yeah the dye is inconsistent in some spots... so go easy lol

Nitro_1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ledzendrix1128/Blue.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ledzendrix1128/Qu...leTop_Rough.jpg

Everything was done with stew mac color tone dye with a rag. The second picture is with the sanding sealer.... (spray cans from stew mac) Ive been doing coats of nitro, about 3 a day with 4 hrs of seperation... BTW... does anyone know how to tell when your done clear coating?

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

Yeah, I didnt build this body but im finishing it.  I just ordered all gold hardware today, heres a few pics. This is my first guitar ive really done major stuff to... and yeah the dye is inconsistent in some spots... so go easy lol

http://www.geocities.com/ledzendrix1128/Blue.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ledzendrix1128/Nitro_1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ledzendrix1128/Qu...leTop_Rough.jpg

Everything was done with stew mac color tone dye with a rag.  The second picture is with the sanding sealer.... (spray cans from stew mac) Ive been doing coats of nitro, about 3 a day with 4 hrs of seperation... BTW... does anyone know how to tell when your done clear coating?

Looks good for a first time dye job! A little unconsistent, but that's ok.

"does anyone know how to tell when your done clear coating?"

It doesnt matter. As long as you are happy with the gloss and you arent afraid to sand thru the coats then you should be fine. I think around 12 coats of clear for a beginner is good.

i mean heck, ive done hmmm... 4 sanding sealer coats... and 8? coats of clear gloss.... i think its close... but ive only used 2 cans... everyone recomended i buy 4... i guess thats good though... another excuse to build a guitar

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

lol... sheesh.. im not that picky... yeah i got dye in there too... but i mean... theres gonna be a pickgaurd over it... haha who cares... you are refferring to my lack of taping off the cavities frustrating you... right tiesco?

PS - you should see my brothers strat by epiphone... the wood is actually splinterred... and it looks like someone routed the cavities with their teeth... its terrible

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

8 coats of clear? You still have 4 more to go.

I got the idea that what's important here is that your final coat is nice n' thick--that way you won't buff through it when you're polishing (that's what happened to me).

Otherwise, how many undercoats of finish you put on depends on how tough of a finish you want --if you want (like me) a guitar that gets a worn in look quickly, you don't need as much clear.

If I'm wrong--someone please correct me!

The cleanliness of the pockets sickens me. There's nothing like some blotchy nitro in your cavities to get your juices flowing.

LOL

you should see my brothers strat by epiphone... the wood is actually splinterred... and it looks like someone routed the cavities with their teeth... its terrible

^ LOL ^

i used to love epiphones until i did some work in a shop that sells only gibson + epiphone

now i think of them as overpriced planks of veneer + wood

anyways nice job with the dye - it has given me some confidence towards my project :D

keep the pics coming B)

:D

Edited by ZoSo_Spencer

I got the idea that what's important here is that your final coat is nice n' thick--that way you won't buff through it when you're polishing (that's what happened to me).

Otherwise, how many undercoats of finish you put on depends on how tough of a finish you want --if you want (like me) a guitar that gets a worn in look quickly, you don't need as much clear.

If I'm wrong--someone please correct me!

No, your coats should all pretty much go on the same thickness. But you do need about 10-12 clear coats (assuming fairly average, thin-ish coats), and especially if you're not getting perfectly flat coats/are getting some orange peel, level sand (400 or 600 grit) every three coats or so, and right before the last coat goes on. Lacquer melts into itself; if you buff through, you're buffing through the entire set of clearcoats, not just the final one.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my hardware today. I test fitted it. The nitro still has about a week left to dry though. I put a small dent in it. Does anyone know how to fix these? can i get some nitro softener or soemthing? or will it come out in buffing... I say its small... but its small and kinda deep. Due to the fact this is my first finishing job im not expecting it to come out perfect. But whatever... anyway heres a pic...

HardWare1.jpg

and heres my pickgaurd wiring

http://www.geocities.com/ledzendrix1128/Saturday_Night.jpg

I tested the wiring out with an old string by stretching it over the pickups... and it all works good. The pups that are in there now are cheap epiphone pickups off an LP standard. These will definately be replaced when i get the cash for them.... I would be committing a crime by leaving them in this guitar

EDIT - Looking at this pic i realized how hard it is to see the quilt in the artificial light... the next pics i take will be in sunlight so hopefully youll get to see it. Oh yeah, the neck from warmoth is shipping out on tuesday supposedly. Thats gonna be Goncalo Alves with a Pau Ferro fret board, and abalone dot inlays. Hopefully this will be finished within the next few weeks... I have to get surgery on my knee this friday though... so i dont know what ill be able to do after that... :D

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

• 2 months later...

Oh yeah, those pickups are going to be replaced with gold covered ones, those are stock epiphone pickups from an old guitar, so when i get the new pickups it should sound even nicer than it does now. This was a nice guitar to learn on though (finishing guitars). im starting a bass build from scratch in my woodshop class... ill be glueing up the 5 peice walnut/maple through-neck on monday.

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

next project is this... i KNOW for a fact im gonna do the maple/walnut neck laminate. 4 string, 34" scale, 24 fret, through-neck body. For body woods im thinkin im gonna use walnut with either a spalt maple top or a 5A quilt top. Fret board im thinkin either cocobolo, ebony, or ziricote. I have all of the neck laminates cut to the right thickness and planed... ready to be glued on monday. Hopefully i can use the stuff i learned from finishing this, the swirled LP, and another pearlescent body i did to make this look flawless. Im going for a high-gloss natural wood finish, in other words, no stains or tints, except for maybe an amber tint if i have a compressor when it comes time to finish it.

I'm currently working with cocobolo as a fingerboard in my fretless project. It's one hell of a dense, oily wood but man, it looks beautiful when sanded with 1200 grit and oiled up. Here is a picture of it. Somewhat blurry, but I'm just trying to show the shine / reflection towards where the nut would be. This isn't even an exotic piece of cocobolo, I couldn't even imagine how beautiful that would look.

Hmm, what happend to that middle pickup routing?

Edited by Jon

I'm currently working with cocobolo as a fingerboard in my fretless project. It's one hell of a dense, oily wood but man, it looks beautiful when sanded with 1200 grit and oiled up. Here  is a picture of it. Somewhat blurry, but I'm just trying to show the shine / reflection towards where the nut would be. This isn't even an exotic piece of cocobolo, I couldn't even imagine how beautiful that would look.

Hmm, what happend to that middle pickup routing?

its still there, i chose to get it as HSH style incase i ever wanted to switch to 3 single coils