MIDI foot controllers and patchbays

StarChild

Hey everyone... I'm looking for a MIDI foot controller to use with my stompboxes... Now I understand that usually a patchmate or a patchbay is required for non-MIDI equipment such as Boss pedals (which is what I use) so my question is where can I get like a list of decent MIDI foot controllers? Does anyone know of any good ones I may take a look at? And while you're at it, any patchmates or patchbays I should check out? Right now I have my eye on the Voodoo Lab GCX Ground Control... I spoke to someone and they told me to check out the Axess-Electronics GRX-4... I also know someone who uses a Behringer FCB 1010... Out of all of these, I've only seen the Behringer in action and it seemed to do the trick... But the owner says there's a short lag when switching from distortion to clean+(random effect). But from clean+(random effect) to distortion, it's seamless... Do ALL MIDI foot controllers do this? I'm not really sure which is best for me and I'd like to check out some other ones but don't know where to look...

If it helps, I own 7 individual Boss stompboxes and a wah pedal... I'm looking for something that can help me switch pedals as well as amp channels... For instance, if I'm playing a song, and for the verse I use a clean tone with chorus and a phaser with a certain amp channel and for the next part in the song, like say the chorus, I use just distortion and a different amp channel, instead of switching off the chorus, the phaser and switching from one amp channel to the other and hitting distortion, I can just hit ONE switch on the MIDI foot controller... I understand that some MIDI foot controller only work for switching amp channels and others only work for switching pedals and others do both... I want one that does both... Anyone got any input? I'd gladly appreciate it! Thanks for reading!!

:D

StarChild

how much was that scott? last time i looked into this kinda thing i was caught by the voodoo labs one.... but for the whole system i was going to end up dropping 2 grand CAN.... so i kinda lost interest..

Hey krazyderek... None of my equipment is MIDI compatible either... I hear you need a patchbay for non-MIDI stompboxes... The patchbay "picks up" the pedals' signal and allows the MIDI foot controller to "detect" them and therefore allowing you to switch between them... My question is: Does one need a patchbay whether using a pre-amp or just an amp head? I understand lots of pre-amps are MIDI compatible but what I don't get is does that mean a patchbay isn't needed in such a case? If not, where do the stompboxes get connected so that the MIDI foot controller picks them up? Personally, I don't know much about it all but I still think a patchbay is needed regardless of amp, if you're using stompboxes... Otherwise, I don't really see how the MIDI foot controller will pick up the stompboxes... I have my eye on getting a pre-amp but I'm just learning about racks so I'm still debating... Like do they sell "racks" to place your pre-amp/power amp/patchbay? Or do you make one yourself? And if one gets an amp head/cabinet with a patchbay for the stompboxes, where does the patchbay go, if you don't own a rack? Anyone got any idea? :D

StarChild