Gluing Pickups

Very vague title, I know. Ill explain.

I ordered new pickups for a archtop guitar, the guitar is pretty beat up, everything works as plan, accept the screws down line up right. Im afraid to drill new holes in it because of cracking. What I was thinking was, could I aucually glue the pickups to the body? I was thinking about glueing some dummy screwheads into the holes just for decoration. Any input will help, even if its to say hi. Thanks :D

if you pre-drill your screw holes you should'nt have any cracking and i'm afraid that glue probably wouldn't hold over the long run..what type of guitar is it? how are the pickups mounted? on top of the guitar? have you got any pictures you could post?

A question to add for loquito would be what type of bit would be best? Maybe a brad point? I just have seen bits that have more of a round end and make poor holes on thin wood, something with a sharper tip might be a better way to go, anyways I just thought that might be a question worth asking for loquito. Good luck! Jason

A question to add for loquito would be what type of bit would be best?  Maybe a brad point? I just have seen bits that have more of a round end and make poor holes on thin wood, something with a sharper tip might be a better way to go, anyways I just thought that might be a question worth asking for loquito.  Good luck! Jason

Thanks!

i had the exact same problem but it wasnt the pickups it was the mounting rings - they were too small.... so when i put the screws in the were on very dangerous angles lol.....so i got some crack/hole filler and taped around the hole and put something on the bottom of the hole and filled it by using a syringe, let it dry and then i re-drilled the holes.

lol i was drilling into veneer (not supported by anything) and very close the the edge and those holes have lasted me ever since

id say go ahead, i mean but be careful if you are going to :D

:D

Definately a good way to go, but there is more to the question I believe that he wanted to know, such as how to avoid craking when drilling into a thin piece of wood such as on his archtop. I have had pieces splinter and crack when just drilling screws into thin boards, not guitar related. As suggested a pre drilled hole helps but even that can splinter on a really thin board, also is there a minimum thickness you should stick when using the toothpick route, I just wanted to know if it would still work on thin stuff. Jason