Bubinga Wood

JonnyC

I'm trying to get hold of a lump of Bubinga for a neck on a new project im working on but am having considerable difficulty.

My aim is to make a left handed guitar matching the style of a Warwick bass. I've found two pieces Clicky that when glued together will give a total thinkness of 3 1/2", which should be ok.

Can anyone see any reason why i shouldn't go down this route? Ideally i'd like it one piece so if anyone has and suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

Edited by JonnyC

Give Dave Dyke and/or Craft Supplies a ring and disucss your needs.

Honestly, I'd scraf joint the neck, which means a 1" or a 1.5" (if you need a deeper heel) piece of timber will be more than thick enough, and less wasteful. Veneer the front and back of the headstock to hide the joint, if you wish.

Also, particularly for a bass neck, a 3-piece laminated neck (I prefer to use odd numbers of laminates m'self) will give you quite a bit of added stability, and I strongly reccomend using CF rods for additional strenght. Make sure that, above all, you use quartered stock for the neck, flipping if necessary.

gilmer wood has a large selection of quartered bubinga.but it is expensive,so you really should scarf it to prevent waste.

if it was me,i would buy a piece of flatsawn 1" thick by 9" or so wide by length needed for the neck,cut it lengthwise into 3 equal strips,and glue the faces together together to make the 3 piece quartersawn laminate...maybe with black veneer strips in between for accent..

i would not personally use the graphite for that.i save the graphite for less stable woods like cherry or for super thin necks of mahogany and such.

really,after building several with the graphite,i love them,but i am building more lately without them...but i think it is a guitar neck,just in the shape of a bass?

Yup, scarf away, my last neck through had a scarf and it works fine. Or you can do the laminate idea, cause then you could take the 3 thin, but wide piece and glue them together, thus giving you your needed thickness for a direct cutted downward degreed headstock, without the pain of finding a SINGLE piece of wood that big (which will cost you even bigger).

Chris