Drum Machines...

Thoughtless 7

I had a bunch, analog stuff mostly, though I sold most of them off...I'm just too lazy to 'program'...

I still use a drum machine though, for practice, much better than a metronome. This one's some 30 year old beatbox with presets...now that's rockin'...I really dig Rock #5... :D

I think software's the best way to go --if you're interested in getting real drum sounds, get yourself a copy of Cool Edit Pro and then a bunch of drum loops...you can build some very convincing drum tracks with them, much better than you'll ever get with a beat box...

DEFINITELY follow Jehle's advice.

I'm not necessarily a "computer is best" ho' , though I know I must sound like it sometimes. However, I have had experience with both and I can tell you that a computer and some basic software will be infinitely more powerful, flexible, and better-sounding.

Plus, even with a low-specced computer, you could probably run any necessary software already on what you own-- and much of it for the low cost of "free".

Greg