Lsr Roller Nut

I recently brought a guitar with a bridge that enables me to do divebombs but not pull up... its like a cross between a floyd and a standard Strat trem...

Anyway thats not the point :D

It didnt come with any form of locking nut and so after a couple of dives.. the thing is quite badly out of tune...

Soo i wanted to get a locking nut... now of course i know i could use a standard floyd rose locking nut.. but that involves drilling through the back of the neck to install... now although thats not an issue.. id rather not if i can help it...

So i came across "lsr roller nut" on Axes R Us.. and wondered if it does the same thing and if its easy to install...

Fender genuine lsr roller nut High quality stainless steel guitar nut with state of the art technology to provide nearly friction free contact at the nut. Chrome-steel ball bearings along with rubber dampers work together to provide the ability to bend notes with ease while staying perfectly in tune--consistently

so would that work?

Sorry if this is a newbie question... but im fairly new to this sort of thing and want some opinions!

Cheers guys!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

It should work, but if your going to use it i would also install locking tuners.

Ok cheers for the info Duo2... Now here comes question number 2 :D:D

A Brand new sealed orignal fender LSR roller nut is going to cost me £27.99 and i havent looked at locking tuners..

Can any one direct me to anywhere that sells them (preferbly chrome) that is in the UK.. itd be nice if they also sold the LSR's so i can order them together!

This is a budget job so if possible, keep the prices as low as possible!

Cheers guys!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

Also, (I've heard) the roller nut limits you to a particular string size. Not a problem if that's all you ever want to use, but ...

The name Carvin keeps coming up, and probably for good reason. On their Floyd-equipped guitars they use a graphite nut and Sperzel tuners. If you want them to install a locking nut you have to pay extra. If it works for them, it just might work for you. :D

I'm with idch and mattia. I think locking tuners and a slick nut would be good, personally I would much rather go that route than drilling into the thinnest part of the neck. I know it's ok but I just wouldn't want to. Although I remember that yours is a bolt on so it's not that big of a deal. I think stew-mac ships to you, and they have a few slippery nuts including Stewmac nuts, the slip stone seems to be the best way to go, but the others seem good too, like the graph tech ones. Also I really like the sperzel locking tuners, I am going to try a few different kinds soon but so far I really dig those tuners, they have many colors and styles to fit them to your guitar's looks. Let us know which way you go, good luck. Jason

Yep, that's the one...though I recommend getting the unslotted nut and having a tech cut it for you (if you don't have the tools to do it yourself). I tried the slotted nut on four different necks--it only fit two of them perfectly.

They don't cost much--but you know what? I filed some graphite (pencil lead) into my strat's nut slots, and it works just as well.

Look for the graph tech string trees though--they're only a couple of bucks for the set.

Also as long as you're in Stew Mac --I always buy Grover locking tuners...partly because I prefer the look over the others, partly because they're all in one (some of the others have those silly screws) and also because they're the least expensive.

You're bridge has fine tuners, right? If that's the case, you won't need ultra-high ratio tuners anyway.

Except I'm really tempted to put those vintage Gotoh locking tuners on my tele..

Oh yeah, and another thing to consider if you really want to make your guitar as bullet-proof as possible --a set of Graph Tech string savers... (I don't have a choice--if I don't use them, I break strings!)

Yep, that's the one...though I recommend getting the unslotted nut and having a tech cut it for you (if you don't have the tools to do it yourself). I tried the slotted nut on four different necks--it only fit two of them perfectly.

They don't cost much--but you know what? I filed some graphite (pencil lead) into my strat's nut slots, and it works just as well.

Look for the graph tech string trees though--they're only a couple of bucks for the set.

Also as long as you're in Stew Mac --I always buy Grover locking tuners...partly because I prefer the look over the others, partly because they're all in one (some of the others have those silly screws) and also because they're the least expensive.

You're bridge has fine tuners, right? If that's the case, you won't need  ultra-high ratio tuners anyway.

Except I'm really tempted to put those vintage Gotoh locking tuners on my tele..

Oh yeah, and another thing to consider if you really want to make your guitar as bullet-proof as possible --a set of Graph Tech string savers... (I don't have a choice--if I don't use them, I break strings!)

Lol sorry i edited during the time you was posting :D

I put down the Grover locking tuners, they seemed to be pretty good and a good price as well :D

No my bridge doesnt have fine tuners... one of the things that bugs me... but it should still be ok with the locking tuners since im not actually clamping anything?

STRING TREES

Is that the ones?

Cheers Idch n others!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I really like the idea of those string trees! I had a friend with a cheapo squire and it would always snap strings up around the string trees, I think they were sharp or just not smooth.

With the graph tech nut and string trees and some locking tuners I think that would be a killer setup,instead of having to have a locking nut. I am not big on trems, but my ibanez has one, I haven't had any problems with it especially since I put in the sperzel locking tuners, it stays in tune well and I like bends, I guess I make up the difference for not using the trem. SOunds good man, let us know which way you go. Later. Jason

Yeah, I sometime feel like a shill for Graph Tech and Grover, because I put their stuff on all of my guitars... :D

I don't have fine tuners either, and I've never felt the need to have them either. Then again, I'm happy with a non-adjustable compensated bridge too...

At any rate, if you have any questions at all about what to use, write to Graph Tech about it --their customer service is awesome, some of the best I've come across. I've had cases where they really came through for me.

There's only one thing you have to consider about the Graph Tech stuff...there's a change in tone (not with the string trees obviously). But because it's plastic, not bone or metal, you lose some of the high end --they call that 'boosting the midrange'...

It's a very slight change, but it's definitely present.

Yeah, I sometime feel like a shill for Graph Tech and Grover, because I put their stuff on all of my guitars...  :D

I don't have fine tuners either, and I've never felt the need to have them either. Then again, I'm happy with a non-adjustable compensated bridge too...

At any rate, if you have any questions at all about what to use, write to Graph Tech about it --their customer service is awesome, some of the best I've come across. I've had cases where they really came through for me.

There's only one thing you have to consider about the Graph Tech stuff...there's a change in tone (not with the string trees obviously). But because it's plastic, not bone or metal, you lose some of the high end --they call that 'boosting the midrange'...

It's a very slight change, but it's definitely present.

Oh right then! so if i order the locking tuners that i linked and the trees, i should be ok?

Unfortuntly being in the UK (and using the shipping technique that i am), itll be a few weeks till they arrive but ill let you know how it goes once all is done!

Cheers guys! youve been a great help!!

~~ Slain Angel ~~