Working with a band saw...

I don't have a band saw, so I'm thinking about going to the local lumber company and getting them to do this for me if this is possible. Before I do that, I'd like to get your opinion on what I'm about to do.

I want to cut the body slab that I have across the face, to open the body up and chamber it basically, then glue the top back on.

Can a band saw cut a strait line across an 18 inch wide body blank like that, or am I dreaming?

it can be done, but you'll need to have a wide planer to get both surfaces smooth again. why not chamber the body and add a Maple or other wood cap

Well, probably because it's an after thought. I have the slab prepared with a nice Nigerian Satinwood veneer already. I didn't think about the cutting and chambering until after that point.

I may have to wait until the next guitar to try this idea out.

As Scott said, it is possible, however, they will need a HUGE bandsaw, 18" is very large to put in a bandsaw. it would require a substantial amount of HP and at least a 1 1/2" deep blade to keep it from wandering to much. My bandsaw will cut up to 10" tall (blade height) but that requires a 3/4" blade minimum, and it's not easy to do, believe me :D

Hmmmm. Possible, but difficult. That tells me what I need to know. I think I'll save this idea for my next project. This is only my 2nd guitar after all. I don't need to make it too complicated.

This will just give me something to look forward to on my next project. :D

you could use a big hand saw B)

They don't call you Krazy for nothing do they.

I have to admit, there's almost something appealling about this idea. I've seen jigs for hand saws that keep them straight for really accurate cuts. I'll have to mull this one over a bit more now. What to do? :D