Best Way

What is the best way, guys?

Rout the pickup & neck socket cavities in the blank and then cut out the shape of the body OR first cut out the shape of the body and then rout the cavities???

I've seen tutorials showing both methods. Which one of them is better?

Or maybe it all depends on the body shape?

Please note that I want to make a classic Telecaster and I would like to choose the better way.

Here is a tutorial by a guy from the forum (guitarfrenzy) who apparently prefers the "first-cut-and-only-after-that-rout" method. http://www.guitarfrenzy.com/Strat01.htm

Thanks!

Edited by DrummerDude

What is the best way, guys?

Rout the pickup & neck socket cavities in the blank and then cut out the shape of the body OR first cut out the shape of the body and then rout the cavities???

I've seen tutorials showing both methods. Which one of them is better?

Or maybe it all depends on the body shape?

Please note that I want to make a classic Telecaster and I would like to choose the better way.

Here is a tutorial by a guy from the forum who apparently prefers the "first-cut-and-only-after-that-rout" method. http://www.guitarfrenzy.com/Strat01.htm

Thanks!

It depends,

I usually would use a mill rather than a righter because the cavities will come out very straight. with this method though, it would be better to cut cavities first before the shape cos the straight sides would come very handy. It also protects the guitar from damaging when using clamps.

Thats just my opinion. I dunno if i am right.

:D HK

I asked the same question a while back. I was considering using the straight edges of the blank to help with routing pick up and trem cavities. I was told by many that using templates on a cut body would be less to worry about, and so far, they were right. Ive been doing that ever since. Just make sure your center line is marked correctly and visible... Its kinda hard to do with purpleheart, but ive managed.

Its kinda hard to do with purpleheart, but ive managed

next time you're working with purple heart or walnut or any dark wood stop by an office supply store and pick up a white pencil..they work great.

I have another reason for doing the body shape first--

I haven't completely made up my mind yet about whether I want to chamber the back of my guitar (and cap it with maple) or leave it a solid body and carve the back a bit...

I like the idea of both ...but I won't be able to decide until I'm able to see how much the body weighs, what it feels like, etc. (I'll probably strap it on and attach the neck too).

Not the same issue, of course, when you're working on a tele --but if you're working on a less-than-standard guitar, it can be useful to have a body to hold before you start digging away at it.

I could make a joke about being married here, but I won't. :D

There is no best way! You just have to get to were you are comfortable with what you are doing. BUT! if you are doing a carved body guitar and don't have a jig that holds the routing templates above the body (like a neck pocket jig) you are better off routing the cavities first and then carve thge body. A lot of templated are made from 1/4-3/16" acrylic and they flex under pressure (as I found out with my Stew Mac fender neck pocket template) and it can be tricky to get an even depth while routing if you are not veerryyy careful.

i did my guitar Idch's way, cut the body first, then did my cavities when I decided I wanted something lighter; but I did do my neck tenon first.

Since I capped my guitar, I cut half of my cavities (the ones that had controls in them) out by drilling a few holes and joining things up with a coping saw. Then I went over to the back side and I only had to route the lip that the back plates would sit on. The front was covered with the 1/4" top. It was so much easier this way than routing (which I did on the other cavities) that I think I might just cap the front and back of my next guitar.

I have a router base like this one that makes routing cavities much easier and more stable if you've already cut the body out. I've also made templates out of MDF that cover more than the entire body, (basically a giant square) supported on edges with pieces of cutoff from the bodies, so routing an already cut body is really no different than routing a block. just make sure nothing slides around.