Cnc Machining Electric Body Cad

George

Hi All

I have a friend who has a friend who does CNC machining. I was told to supply a CAD drawing of the guitar body and they can put it through the machine.. which is great except!!! i dont have a CAD drawing. I am after an Ibanez RG. Does CNC machining do routing and the right depths and all that .. or does it just do the basic outline of the whole body? Anybody know where i can get a cad drawing like what i might need.. i know nothing about CAD or CNC soo the above may not make sense .. let me know!!! oh gurus out there..

Thanks

G :D

You will need a 3d model of your guitar and im doubtful someone is going to give that away. Keep in mind that the drawing and programming of your tool paths is the most expensive and time consuming part of cnc. You'll probably get more enjoyment out of building it yourself.

You will need a 3d model of your guitar and im doubtful someone is going to give that away.

And why would that be??? Email me for 3d RG/JEM Cad files. I have rear and front routed versions.

Hahaha I bet those are MY drawings RGGR from the download section :D

Hahaha I bet those are MY drawings RGGR from the download section  :D

And if they are so, somebody did the wrong thing! Unless you are a supporter you shouldn't have access to those! I think it was the best $10 I have spent!

You will need a 3d model of your guitar and im doubtful someone is going to give that away.

And why would that be???

Because like he mentioned, it is too time consuming, unless you didn't did nothing for them, then they got no importance to you! So you give them away the same way.

George, seems proper drawings are also in the Download Area. You might want to check this out.

There's the 3D model, and then there's programming a machine to carve said model. Be prepared for several snafus before you get it all working right.

+1.

Cad files can be of great help in build process......but taking net-(found/given) cad file and converting them to proper Cam files and let the machine have a go....is whole different matter.

Can the files be trusted? Are they absolutely correct, or artist impression of model.

Is location of trem and trem posts correct.....how about neck pocket....etc, etc.

Like I said.......Cad files are great help when making templates.......but I wouldn't take a Cad file of the net and blindly CNC body out of quality type wood.

Edited by RGGR

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks guys .. here is a really stupid question .. where is the download area??

It says on the main site .. its in the advanced section of the forum .. where the hell is that :D

George, seems proper drawings are also in the Download Area. You might want to check this out.

There's the 3D model, and then there's programming a machine to carve said model. Be prepared for several snafus before you get it all working right.

+1.

Cad files can be of great help in build process......but taking net-(found/given) cad file and converting them to proper Cam files and let the machine have a go....is whole different matter.

Can the files be trusted? Are they absolutely correct, or artist impression of model.

Is location of trem and trem posts correct.....how about neck pocket....etc, etc.

Like I said.......Cad files are great help when making templates.......but I wouldn't take a Cad file of the net and blindly CNC body out of quality type wood.