My First Bass

I'm building a 6-string bass with a thru-body neck (thanks to erikbojerik for the neck blank) and I was hoping some experienced builders had some suggestions or comments. I haven't really finished planning everything out, but hese are the specs I'm considering thus far:

Dimensions:

2 1/16" at the nut (Carvin 6-string bass nut)

3 1/4" at the 24th fret

34" scale 27 fret pau ferro fretboard

3 1/4" string spacing at the bridge

24" Hot Rod truss rod

I'm considering ash body wings with a transparent purple finish and transparent finish on the thru-body neck (more-or-less to make the body frame the ebony/walnut/maple striped neck). I'll probably finish off with all gold hardware.

Any suggestions, warnings, obvious mistakes?

If you want to go for a purple theme, why not use purpleheart wings, or at least wing caps? Getting a purple to clear transition will be really hard, and if you want to show off  the neck, then you definitely don't want to cover the through body section!

I'm not covering the through body section. I'm simply attaching the wings to the side of the through bodu section without putting any top on it. Also, I'm not trying to blend from purple to clear. it'll be a clearly defined line between the purple body wings and the through-body

To be honest, I didn't even think about using purpleheart. That's a very good thought. I'll look into it to see if the cost outweights the extra work I'd have to do mixing the right shade of purple

Well alright! Welcome to the forum :D

Are you thinking swamp ash (light) or northern ash (heavy)?

I also thought immediately of purpleheart; it is very dense and hard, and heavy.

The other thing I picked up on was the string spacing at the bridge (3-1/4"), I'm guessing that's a misprint as it can't be the same as at #24 (3-1/4"). Do you mean 3-3/4" string spread, like on the Hipshot 6 bridge?

Well alright!  Welcome to the forum  :D

Are you thinking swamp ash (light) or northern ash (heavy)?

I also thought immediately of purpleheart; it is very dense and hard, and heavy.

The other thing I picked up on was the string spacing at the bridge (3-1/4"), I'm guessing that's a misprint as it can't be the same as at #24 (3-1/4").  Do you mean 3-3/4" string spread, like on the Hipshot 6 bridge?

the width of the fretboard at the 24th is 3 1/4 (the string spacing at the 24th fret will be less than that) I modeled it (so some degree) after carvin's 6-string basses. I have small fingers, so I want a bit narrower neck. To answer your question, I was thinking northern ash if I could get it. I like an instrument with a bit of weight to it. At this point, I'm really into the idea of usng purpleheart, but I'm still looking around and keeping my options open.

Also, any thoughts on where I can get a relatively inexpensive purpleheart body blank or enought to make a body for this bass?

Ah, OK. Just make sure you select the bridge you want and then draw it all out; given the nut and bridge, the neck taper will fall into place.

It can be tough to find PH thick enough for 1-piece wings, like 1-1/2" thick (6/4). You ...could... go thinner with heavy wood but then you're weakening the neck blank when you rout for the pickups.

My wood guy stocks PH, I'll see if he's got any thick stuff on my next visit. I was thinking of picking up some anyway.

Ah, OK.  Just make sure you select the bridge you want and then draw it all out; given the nut and bridge, the neck taper will fall into place.

It can be tough to find PH thick enough for 1-piece wings, like 1-1/2" thick (6/4).  You ...could... go thinner with heavy wood but then you're weakening the neck blank when you rout for the pickups. 

My wood guy stocks PH, I'll see if he's got any thick stuff on my next visit.  I was thinking of picking up some anyway.

I actually found PH thick enough to do the body, but I've heard that it's just too heavy to make an entire body (or solid body wings) out of. Would it be worth it to use a piece of lighter wood sandwiched between 2 layers of PH and cut the body wings out of that?

I actually found PH thick enough to do the body, but I've heard that it's just too heavy to make an entire body (or solid body wings) out of. Would it be worth it to use a piece of lighter wood sandwiched between 2 layers of PH and cut the body wings out of that?

Bill Dickens had a purple heart bass that weighed 50-60 pounds. I like a heavy bass, too, but not THAT heavy, haha. Definately consider sandwiching a lighter wood between two layers (maybe 1/4" thick each?) of purpleheart.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks good dude, but you might want to do a pic with the neck on, those horns look like they may get in the way a bit? But otherwise cool design :D 6 string basses... yummy :D

yeah, the bottom horn doesn't really come that close. Keep in mind this isn't to exact proportions. I don't have a camera good enough to take a detailed pic of my plans, so I half-assed this image instead

You have full scale plans? Oh, that's music to my ears. Not enough people draw their build out to scale before hand. It's almost scary. I'm definitely feeling that shape. The top horn seems a bit gargantuan, but it's a bass and you can do whatever you want with it. Good luck man.

peace,

russ

You have full scale plans? Oh, that's music to my ears. Not enough people draw their build out to scale before hand. It's almost scary. I'm definitely feeling that shape. The top horn seems a bit gargantuan, but it's a bass and you can do whatever you want with it. Good luck man.

peace,

russ

The top horn is big, but actually, there is one thick part (at the top) supporting the weight of the instrument. The rest tapers down to basically a rib. If that was confusing, think of it this way: If you cut a cross section, it would look like a upside down teardrop

The idea behind this body was to make it look big while keeping the weight down by using a lot of beveling/tapering.

You guys are really keeping my design in check. Thanks so much for all of your help