Lumber Dimensions

It seems like he is trying to take the oppurtunity to stock up on blanks for future projects, all of which he hasnt planned out yet. Heres my take;

Fender style neck blank- 27"X4"X3/4"

Solid body blank- 16"x20"x1 3/4"

LP neck w/ scarfed headstock- maybe 30-34"x4"x3/4"

LP neck from one piece- 3"x3"x27-30"

I cant say for sure about the LP neck blanks as I have never done one but if you can just give the guy dimensions, those should get you what you need.

I have no idea what kind of neck I will build in future projects. And when I get wood its usually free and I generally have to work around many strange dimensions. For neck wood I stay on the safe side and just get 2X4, a bit of extra wood there but those dimensions give me many options. I don't mind all that carving. :D If you wanted you could build a guitar body out of many small blocks, a few blocks or one big block. So width is relative. Surface conditions are also an issue to address. If the wood is rough cut then I would want something on the thick side, no less than 1-3/4" thick so there is room for making things flat and square. Body length depends on what you want to build, just measure a few guitars and then add an inch or two.

The main issue for me is finding the most a(n)esthetically pleasing areas and cutting to minimize wastage. Like I said, I get my wood free, thats stuff like mahogany, wrn. & eastern maple, holly, even got a thick chunk of redwood burl to play with. Its not easy trying to bring out the best qualities in a piece of wood that is not AAA+ grade. :D

Edited by Southpa

Thanks for the help guys, I am stocking up, I dont know what to build yet. I so far have a beautiful 2 piece Mahogany 18"x24"x 1 3/4"

Hmmmm. decisions, descions... I am so far thinking Tele body, Nashville pu config w/ strat neck pocket with a satin clear nitro finish. I have a carvin bolt on neck waiting for a body.

Would eventually like to do a Strat '57 v neck for it. possibly in mahogany/ebony.