Colored Epoxy Grain Fill

verhoevenc

Has anyone ever tried doing a grain fill with epoxy BESIDES black or clear? IE: what would happen if you took some of that stewmac stain and mixed it in with your epoxy and then filled the grain with say... red? Cause then you could have a cool "red and white" (provided you're useing a light colored wood) natural looks. OR if you shot say... blue over that, you'd have blue finish but with what I'm guessing would turn out as purple grain 'low-lights' (opposite of highlights??)

Chris

Well I wouldn't know that if someone hadn't done it(der). Do a google image search for a gibson voodoo guitar. They were painted black, then grainfilled with a red tinted grainfiller, then laquered with semigloss laquer. It's been done to death actually, hehe.

cheers, i was always wondering how they did that

Ok, went to the home depot today, and bought the ONLY epoxy the guy said they had that would dry clear. It's Famowood Glaze Coat pour-on high gloss epoxy coating. And even though it's a COATING I though "eh, it looks pretty thin to start out, it'll geti nto the grain, plus the guy says it dries really hard.

Opinions?

Chris

You can put a finish on really thick before it totally fills the pores. So, "no." It'd be easier to sand grainfiller than epoxy though. So you'd have to worry much less w/ the colored grainfiller as opposed to colored epoxy, but if you take the right precautions, I don't think there's need for worry. It doesn't matter if the finish gets a little dulled while you're sanding anyhow because you're clearing over it in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...