Ibanez Sa Series

anyone notice that an ibanez body very much resembles a prs body except near the neck pocket. the ibanez wood extends out further on the left side then the prs. i bet pretty good prs copy could be based on an ibanez. comparison

Also anyone know if the bridge is good in the ibanez sa 420x, it has an lg baggs piezo system i know that pricey. i question is is the ibanez bridge better then the prs tremelo?

thanks, Adam

Um, it really, really doesn't. The Ibanez is much closer to the progenitor for both designs, the stratocaster. The PRS also has heavy Gibson influences (doublecut Les Paul, only more 'stratified'), but the Ibanez is about as far from the PRS as you can get and still retain a fairly trad doublecut look.

As for which bridge is 'better', I suppose it depends on what you want out of your trem. Dive-bombing? Don't get a traditional style trem. Get a double-locking one, or something. However, looking at the Ibanez bridge on that pic I'd say it's also 'just' an old-style trem, and in that arena, PRS is the one with the strong reputation.

anyone notice that an ibanez body very much resembles a prs body except near the neck pocket. the ibanez wood extends out further on the left side then the prs. i bet pretty good prs copy could be based on an ibanez.

Nope. I own an S470, and you try cutting the top horn down and you ruin the neck pocket. The Ibanez S and SA series are all bolt on necks, while the PRS non-SE guitars are all set neck. The Ibanez S and SA bodies are also much thinner than a PRS.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

this ibanes is pretty close to prs mccarty in my opinion body and neck that is.ibanez

i was thinking of buying one then re wiring it with mccarty pickups and rplacing the bridge with a prs wraparound. What ya all think?

obviously prs uses better wood. besides that the wood type is the same. with mccarty pickuPS and the prs bridge on a scale of 1 to 10 what would u rate it. what would you rate the mccarty and why?

thanks

obviously prs uses better wood. besides that the wood type is the same. with mccarty pickuPS and the prs bridge on a scale of 1 to 10 what would u rate it.  what would you rate the mccarty and why?

thanks

Prettier wood, maybe. Fewer pieces, probably. But beyond that..

And I still don't see it, sorry. They're as similar as any other two maple/mahogany equipped double cutaway humbucker guitars, and more dissimilar than, say, a Hamer Artist and a PRS, McCarty or otherwise. The PRS doublcut (non-Santana) has it's own look, the Santana has a strong Les Paul Doublecut look, and the Ibanez, quite frankly, is a superstrat shape with Les Paul woods. It still looks more like a Strat than it does Les Paul, when you look at just the outlines. The headstocks also aren't terribly similar, unless 'tapered three per side' constitutes strong similarity suddenly.

The Ibanez is a great guitar, I'm sure. So's the PRS. But don't go pretending they're close equivalents in terms of looks.

so d u think it would be a good idea to change out the ibanez bridge and pickups with the prs ones?

would they sound similar?

Similar, yeah. Main body features are about the same (woods), pickups/electronics the same, tuning machines aren't gonna make a huge difference, bridge type might (but again, not sure), but scale length probably will (are they the same?).

If you want an exact McCarty copy, build one or buy one. Otherwise, well, you'll end up with something very similar, but probably not the same. Then again, pick up any two McCarty's, and you're likely to find differences.

Good god man :D What the hell is the purpose of all these threads? Will these pickups sound like a PRS in this with this bridge blah blah blah............... the answer is no, if you want a PRS, buy one.

By the time you're done buying actual mccarty parts, you'll have spent just as much, if not more than on a real mccarty. Expand your sights. There are plenty of good parts out there(that cost much less than mccarty parts) that will make a very cool guitar with a mccarty vibe. I think the biggest visual tip off that it's a "mccarty" will be body shape. Your best bet in that respect is just to make a body from scratch, because those ibanez's don't look like prs'. Although, you could always get the grizzly kit or something :D .

peace,

russ