My First

KAPT

Hi. I have been reading these great sites couple years and finally finished my first guitar. This is also pretty much my first woodwork project.

Randy Rhoads style guitar

Neck-thru-body

Wings: Alder

Bridge: Floyd Rose Original

Pickup: EMG-81

Neck wood: 3pc laminated hard maple

Scale: 25/5

Fretboard: Ebony, 24 frets Dunlop 6000 (jumbo)last five frets are scalloped

Body starts at 21th fret

Neck dimensions:

Width at nut: 43mm

Width at last fret: 57mm

Thickness at 3th: 22mm

Thickness at 12th: 22mm

Radius: 15"

Sorry, bad picture.

5.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b249/kapt/

It doesn't look very good. Paint job didn't go well. I will have to do it again later if I get place. You can see brush marks in some places and there is no clear laquer on it so I think those silver bevels will wear out. Binding... there is about 1mm gap. Tremolo is almost 1cm too close neck but can be set up corretly. (I made some really stupid mistake there. I measured it three times)

but...

I was really surprised when I played it first time. I thought that I would have like 1cm string action or way too thick neck but I can get string height lower than my Ibanez RG770. Neck profile is good. It fits just right into my hand.

And it's now my main guitar.

The pictures of the guitar look great, however the pictures are way too bad to judge the finish or anything, so I know what you are talking about when you say the details arent that pretty. But the way it looks on the pictures is very cool.

He was kind of my guitar hero before Hate Crew Deathroll album

I simply dont get it. COB is one of my favorite bands ever and Alexi is an excellent guitarist. However what is wrong with HCDR? To me it is the best album of the band, containst awesome riffs (bodom beach terror for example) and the songs are structured and composed a little better/more mature than the older stuff. I mean if you don like AYDY(pretty different sound) I understand that, but how can anyone like FTR and not HCDR?!?!? And why is it so common that people loose respect for certain bands/players only because they do different new stuff? Does that make the old stuff worthless?

dont blame ya, i made the 3 esp models he has

That's got to be a joke?!?!? Or did you really build all three with inlays, etc.?

If so please post some Pictures? I will build one too soon, so I am really interested in seeing other people's clones....

The pictures of the guitar look great, however the pictures are way too bad to judge the finish or anything, so I know what you are talking about when you say the details arent  that pretty. But the way it looks on the pictures is very cool.

I simply dont get it. COB is one of my favorite bands ever and Alexi is an excellent guitarist. However what is wrong with HCDR? To me it is the best album of the band, containst awesome riffs (bodom beach terror for example) and the songs are structured and composed a little better/more mature than the older stuff. I mean if you don like AYDY(pretty different sound) I understand that, but how can anyone like FTR and not HCDR?!?!? And why is it so common that people loose respect for certain bands/players only because they do different new stuff? Does that make the old stuff worthless?

Thank you. Yes, sorry that picture.

Sorry I might said that wrong. I haven't lost my respect for Bodom. I still think that Laiho is exellent guitarist and HCDR is good album but Follow The Reaper is my favorite. I just like those songs and guitar sounds. :D And that guitar hero thing... you know... it changes.

now, i heard 3 songs off the new album and i didn´t like it

Depends on which songs you heard. The new album has good and boring songs in my opinion. But some songs are exellent: "Living Dead Beat", "Trashed, Lost & Strungout", "In your Face" for example. That said I think it's their worst album so far, but still a very good record.

Could you post more-detailed pictures of the guitar's finish? For my V, I will be staining it, with a black/gray and then applying a satin clear coat with a brush... I just want to see how a brush finish turns out...

Lets see... if I can get camera. But this is not good example of brush finish. I have not paint alot. I think that if you know what you are doing you can make it as good as any other finish. I had to do this in rush and I didn't sand or polish it. I hope I find place and can do it again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello I am a newbie to the form and I was wondering what were the measurements for the wood  because  I want to build one at the end of the year thanks. :D

Hi. If I remember right measurements were: Maple 200x15x4cm, Alder 200x18x3cm and Ebony 54x7x0.8cm. Alder board wasn't thick enough so I had to glue both wings out of two pieces.

now, i heard 3 songs off the new album and i didn´t like it

Depends on which songs you heard. The new album has good and boring songs in my opinion. But some songs are exellent: "Living Dead Beat", "Trashed, Lost & Strungout", "In your Face" for example. That said I think it's their worst album so far, but still a very good record.

So far I've been enjoying the entire album. I'm still trying to find a copy of Hate Crew Deathroll, but it's out of print in the US.

As for the V, I think it's awesome. I'm generally a sucker for blue guitars (I currently own 4), and the Rhoads design will always have a spot in my heart since he's one of the reasons I picked up the guitar in the first place.

GBT