Shop In Basement

baze7

I have my shop in my unfinished basement. For me, the two biggest considerations are dust and noise. Other than those issues I love having my shop indoors! The only thing better might be a heated garage.

The dust collector is your friend! You also want to make sure any dust is isolated from your central heating and cooling system, otherwise it will just plug up your filters and blow the dust all over your house.

Your best bet is a decent plan for dust collection.

Edited by jer7440

I couldn't agree more.

If you are going to do much of this kind of work, you will quickly find that you absolutely must have a good dust collector -- regardless of where your shop is located. You will have dust all over the basement all of the time, no matter how hard you try, but it isn't really a problem for the rest of the house as long as you don't have air return inlets in the basement. Noise would be a bigger problem if that is objectionable to others in your house.

Short of a dedicated building, a basement shop is about as good as it gets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My "poor man's basement shop dust collection system" :

Basement stairs have carpet on them. As I walk up the stairs, the carpet removes the dust from the bottom of my shoes. Bottom stair is very dusty. Top stair is pretty clean. So what would that be , like an 8 step filtration system ? :D

ha ha i love it thats what i do 2

My shop is in the back 1/3 of the basement. You have to go through the "man room" to get to it. You know a couch, a couple of chairs, big screen tv, drums and all the guitar stuff.

I made sure the walls are sealed at the floor and ceiling, the door has weather stripping on it and I have small dust collector. But the one thing that has kept the next room the cleanest are my shop shoes. Actually there just a pair of slip on sandels that never leave the shop. That way I don't track any sawdust out the door.

I get comfortable when I work in there. :D

Edited by RLRSHOP

• 2 weeks later...

There's this one spot in my basement where rain water will come down the wall if it rains hard for a couple of days. That limited my options of what to put in that spot, but finally I realized I could put some of those metal shelves there (those bolt together kind that you see everywhere). I water-proofed the feet of the shelf units by putting round plastic spice jar lids under the feet.

Pretty much lids just like these.

http://www.ofo.ca/photos/digijarslids.jpg

I could also saw the end off the clear plastic jars as well, for the same purpose.

My dust collection system is called Sunday afternoon. :D

I work in the old barn attached to my house> Half of the barn has been renovated and is now my office (or man room ...giggle), the other half is just an unfinished stone structure with a roof and a cement floor. So there's dust whether I make it or not. But I spend a lot of time working on the floor of my office anyway, so there's still some dust. Don't know why I like to work on the floor, I just do. I ought to take a photo...the floor is filled with parts of guitars and pieces of wood and rulers.

I plan on fixing up the rest of the barn this summer, once my current builds are done...but I'm going to keep that big open door...and find me a leaf blower...