Vintage Tube Amps Advice

Southpa

yeah, I blew it, should have followed my instincts. A few years back I sold a 70's all-tube guitar / bass combo, 2X12 amp. It was a noisy old critter, no way to bias the voltage output without messing with resistors, weighed a ton and only put out about 25 watts. Have a look at my avatar, yeah, thats the one, I hardly used it because it was no great shakes compared to my Musicman. Tried to jam with it and the "un-miked" drums drowned me out even at full volume. :D

I originally got it for 10 bucks and invested about $150 total in getting it running, needed transformer, filter caps, and a few tubes. I also replaced the cord for a 3 prong and grounded the chassis for safety. I didn't even know what it was until a few years later. ya seee, someone had painted it black and the badge on the grill was gone. The original tolex color was red with sparkles and black vermiculations. I got the black paint off with a quick solvent rub.

The amp was a Teisco 78-R, one of the rare and unique birds put out by that company at the time. Mine was fully functional despite the stain on the grill cloth and only a few substitute parts. I sold the amp for $125 Cdn. I learned last night that someone bought one of those for $1250 US.

So keep you're nostalgia, it may sound the sh*ts and might not even work! But its definitely worth something these days.

Edited by Southpa

:D Hi,

Yeah, I've got a Magnatone Varsity from the early '50's and a Magnatone Estey from about 10 years later. Miked up, they sound great. Just not good for gigs. Not to mention I would never move them out of the studio. Scared of damage. I wonder if they are in any demand now.

Peace,

Dave

yeah, I blew it, should have followed my instincts.  A few years back I sold a 70's  all-tube guitar / bass combo, 2X12 amp.  It was a noisy old critter, no way to bias the voltage output without out messing with resistors, weighed a ton and only put out about 25 watts.  Have a look at my avatar, yeah, thats the one, I hardly used it because it was no great shakes compared to my Musicman.  Tried to jam with it and the "un-miked" drums drowned me out even at full volume.  :D   

I originally got it for 10 bucks and invested about $150 total in getting it running, needed transformer, filter caps, and a few tubes.  I also replaced the cord for a 3 prong and grounded the chassis for safety.  I didn't even know what it was until a few years later.  ya seee, someone had painted it black and the badge on the grill was gone.  The original tolex color was red with sparkles and black vermiculations.  I got the black paint off with a quick solvent rub. 

The amp was a Teisco 78-R, one of the rare and unique birds put out by that company at the time.  Mine was fully functional despite the stain on the grill cloth and only a few substitute parts.  I sold the amp for $125 Cdn.  I learned last night that someone bought one of those for $1250 US. 

So keep you're nostalgia, it may sound the sh*ts and might not even work!  But its definitely worth something these days.

:D Hi,

The Estey says Model 401 on it, for whatever that means. It also says 18 watts, but I highly doubt that.

Peace,

Dave

What kind of Estey?

I've had an M4 and 2 M10's, always wanted an M13.

I modded one of the M10's to a 3-10 and opened up the back, it made about 1000% difference in the sound, it was a great amp after that.