Painting A Floyd Rose

Im thinking on painting a floyd rose, but Im a little worried on the effect. I have read this http://users.pandora.be/marnix.ghesquiere/ondex.html

But Powder coating is not only expensive but hard to find without having to send it to the UK. So this leaves me with one solution, I could prime it with epoxy primer, then paint it with some sort of paint (forget what its called) that can take the abuse of you hand constantly touching it.

but what Im wondering do any of you think that epoxy primer would alter the sound at all? and/or is there another way I could paint a floyd rose without having to worry about the paint fading and peeling?

Thanks!

Im thinking on painting a floyd rose, but Im a little worried on the effect. I have read this http://users.pandora.be/marnix.ghesquiere/ondex.html

But Powder coating is not only expensive but hard to find without having to send it to the UK. So this leaves me with one solution, I could prime it with epoxy primer, then paint it with some sort of  paint (forget what its called) that can take the abuse of you hand constantly touching it.

but what Im wondering do any of you think that epoxy primer would alter the sound at all? and/or is there another way I could paint a floyd rose without having to worry about the paint fading and peeling?

Thanks!

You're better off leaving it as it is. I have yet to see a paint that will hold up to that kind of application.

Perhaps getting it chromed but they have a tendency to lose small parts in the vat.

Define "expensive"

I can Powdercoat, but it will take some time, as I am WAY backlogged on other projects.

Powdercoating will outlast chrome when done correctly

But Powder coating is not only expensive but hard to find without having to send it to the UK. So this leaves me with one solution, I could prime it with epoxy primer, then paint it with some sort of  paint (forget what its called) that can take the abuse of you hand constantly touching it.

Thanks!

You're better off leaving it as it is. I have yet to see a paint that will hold up to that kind of application.

Perhaps getting it chromed but they have a tendency to lose small parts in the vat.

well I was talking to an older friend who knows all this stuff. and this is what I think Im going to do. mind you Im not a paint nor finish expert so its going to come out very blunt first we are gonna sandblast it to get all of the previous paint off. then we will prime it, paint it, then we will add a clear coat.

we are gonna add a clear coat so unstead of the paint wearing off the clear coat does. which makes it much easier for repainting and shyt.

again I forget what type of paint, prime and clear coat we will use, I really don't know to much about that stuff. but as long as my friend knows what type of stuff we will need Im not worried.

If you guys think this isn't a good idea or anything feel free to give opinions and such.

Powdercoat it dude!

3 steps

Scuff

Clean

Powdercoat

If done right, it willl look amazing!

well I was talking to an older friend who knows all this stuff. and this is what I think Im going to do. mind you Im not a paint nor finish expert so its going to come out very blunt first we are gonna sandblast it to get all of the previous paint off. then we will prime it, paint it, then we will add a clear coat.

we are gonna add a clear coat so unstead of the paint wearing off the clear coat does. which makes it much easier for repainting and shyt.

again I forget what type of paint, prime and clear coat we will use, I really don't know to much about that stuff.  but as long as my friend knows what type of stuff we will need Im not worried.

If you guys think this isn't a good idea or anything feel free to give opinions and such.

Couple things..........

First of all,

Anodizing is NOT an option, can't anodize steel, ONLY aluminum

Secondly

Powder coat will never outlast chrome assuming a GOOD quality chrome is applied

Third

Powder coat add's way more thickness than chrome, you have to take into account the thickness of powder coat, most floyds won't fit back together properly after powder coating unless the powder coat layer is done very thin in which case it won't outlast a high quality epoxy paint.

Fourth,

High quality epoxy paint is expensive, and it's deadly toxic, it's the only type of paint that will last on a bridge very long though. 2 part poly's will last ok in the clear, but again, you have to put it on quite thin for the parts to fit again.

There is a reason that bridges are plated, it's the best wearing finish available plain and simple.

Painting is fine, but don't expect much longevity out of it.

LGM & Billet:

I respectfully disagree on your statements on Powdercoating.

If you simply buy a $100 powdercoat gun and try your hand, you will most likely run into the issues you both brought up.

There are methods to applying powdercoat that will work perfectly with a Floyd type trem.

I have done several and as long as the attention to detail is taken into account up front, there are NO issues at all.

I may be working on a Powdercoating tutorial in the future that will lay this out in detail. I just have a few projects that I want to finish up beforehand.

Dave

You guys told me exactly what I wanted and needed to know.  who knows what I would have done without this information.

thanks!

LGM & Billet:

I respectfully disagree on your statements on Powdercoating.

If you simply buy a $100 powdercoat gun and try your hand, you will most likely run into the issues you both brought up.

There are methods to applying powdercoat that will work perfectly with a Floyd type trem.

I have done several and as long as the attention to detail is taken into account up front, there are NO issues at all.

I may be working on a Powdercoating tutorial in the future that will lay this out in detail. I just have a few projects that I want to finish up beforehand.

Dave

You guys told me exactly what I wanted and needed to know.  who knows what I would have done without this information.

thanks!

And I will have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement :D I've had many bike frames powder coated. In order to get a functionally hard powder coat, it goes on fairly thick. I am relating the thickness to your comment about powder coat outlasting chrome, it won't, plain and simple. I've seen chrome trems that are 30 years old and still not worn, but I've seen powder coat bridges that didn't last 2 years without the edges wearing through. If you go thick enough to alleviate the wear factor parts won't fit right. Everytime a bike frame is powder coated you need to go back and retap all the threaded holes if the powder coater was to lazy to put plugs in or you'll never get bolts in them.

As I said previously, you can powder coat thin enough that it will work, but it won't outlast a high quality epoxy paint. I've been involved in the paint industry and the metal working industry long enough to have seen countless examples of all these different mediums.

Powder coat is awesome, it's tough as nails, but when it's applied super thin it's no tougher than a good quality epoxy paint, and that will never outlast a quality chrome job.

:D

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy......... :D

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree about Powdercoating lasting longer than chrome. I have seen many chrome parts pit, peel and flake. I have never personaly seen this happen with powdercoated parts.

That cool if you feel otherwise, different opinions are what make the world go around!

I guess I am more concerned about the statement you made regarding:

"most floyds won't fit back together properly after powder coating unless the powder coat layer is done very thin in which case it won't outlast a high quality epoxy paint"

I think I am going to just have to buy a new digital camera & do a tutorial.

I did a blue Edge trem and a yellow Jackson trem with NO issues. you just have to know where to mask with Green tape (green polyester that has a 1.5 mil silicone adhesive. It withstands temperatures up to 400 degrees)

You also have to know where to use silicone caps & plugs to make sure the coating dosent get in here it should not.

I think I might have to do a "snow white" hardware transformation to show my claims to be true

:DB):D

Now I just have to make the time to do it!

The only reason chrome would chip or peel off is if the surface wasn't properly prepared. Even the gold plating or "cosmo chrome" on my Ibanez guitars have worn off in places over a few years of regular use. I think that I would have to agree that powder coating just wouldn't last as long as a good chrome job.

It probably comes down to thickness - the chrome plating on a Floyd Rose Original is pretty thick and it's metallic - it wears very well. A thick powder coat is not metallic, although it is generally a very tough finish. I personally wouldn't use it in this application, though.