Argh

Gosh. I have been planning for my first project, got the parts, and then wanted to do a flat top since I am not experienced. But all of a sudden there is this new CNC machine in school and turns my CADCAM files in reality.!!! So now I want a carved top guitar! So what should I do with my flame veneer now? I don't want to waste it. I have already thought of headstock veneering, but what else is there?

Ash HK :D

all of a sudden there is this new CNC machine in school and turns my CADCAM files in reality.!!!Ash HK  :D

You lucky dog, I wish I had the possibility to use such a machine!

Just out of curiosity, what cad software and cam processor have you planned to use to generate the toolpaths? I have tried to model a carved top body with SolidWorks with very little success. Can you suggest more suitable software?

Also, what kind of fixtures will you use to attach the body blank to the router's table?

What comes to the veneer, save it for your later projects. Guitar building is highly addictive, so I'm quite sure you will come up with plenty of plans to use it while CNC'ing the first body.

--

Seppo

all of a sudden there is this new CNC machine in school and turns my CADCAM files in reality.!!!Ash HK  :D

Just out of curiosity, what cad software and cam processor have you planned to use to generate the toolpaths? I have tried to model a carved top body with SolidWorks with very little success. Can you suggest more suitable software?

Also, what kind of fixtures will you use to attach the body blank to the router's table?

What comes to the veneer, save it for your later projects. Guitar building is highly addictive, so I'm quite sure you will come up with plenty of plans to use it while CNC'ing the first body.

--

Seppo

Well, I personally use a software that no one has ever heard before. Its called Pro/Desktop. If you want I can mail you a copy. ITs very good for visulalising and using different planes and surfaces.

Heres a quick screenshot of a tuneomatic I did:

untitled1.jpg

There are many things to do with this software so give it a try.

Edited by rokeros

--

Seppo

Well, I personally use a software that no one has ever heard before. Its called Pro/Desktop. If you want I can mail you a copy. ITs very good for visulalising and using different planes and surfaces.

Heres a quick screenshot of a tuneomatic I did:

untitled1.jpg

There are many things to do with this software so give it a try.

I hope its not rude to ask, but If you could see your way clear to let me have a copy I would be forever graitfull.

Thanks much

ShojiD.

Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you have to do it, that's where forethought and decision-making come in.

Let me ask you an honest question: do you want a carved top because you PREFER carved top guitars, or is it you think they're cooler due to them being harder to make?

Personally, I PREFER flat top guitars, sometimes with belly and forearm bouts added, but I have sold some top-notch guitars before because they were carved top and I just didn't find them particularly useful or comfortable to play. I do a fair share of volume swells and I manipulate my controls quite a bit while playing, and I find controls on a carved top rather hard to use while in the heat of battle so-to-speak.

Just be honest with yourself, and build the guitar you WANT. If that's a carved top, then just sell the veneer or something and forget about it.

Well, I personally use a software that no one has ever heard before. Its called Pro/Desktop. If you want I can mail you a copy.

If I've understood correctly Pro/Desktop is some sort of an educational version of Pro/Engineer. Even though there are some features that are quite superior in PTC's software compared to others, are there other facts (like ease of use) that makes me stick with SolidWorks.

Actually, I've started my CAD-carreer with Pro/E and haven't really missed it a day after changing to SW :-)

BTW, have you already modelled your guitar top? If so, how did you succeed and what tools did you use (surface modeller?)

--

Seppo