Changing Strings

Im gonna be changing strings on amy guitar and its actually a guitar that i am selling and i don't play but i wanna put new strings and set it up and clean it daily and stuff. I read that i can take a drop or 2 of almond oil and rub it on the fretboard. is that any good for the fretboard what else can i do for the body and the hardware and stuff?

Im gonna be changing strings on amy guitar and its actually a guitar that i am selling and i don't play but i wanna put new strings and set it up and clean it daily and stuff. I read that i can take a drop or 2 of almond oil and rub it on the fretboard. is that any good for the fretboard what else can i do for the body and the hardware and stuff?

while you've got the strings off clean the fretboard before you oil it. i use windex and 0000 steel wool going along the length of the neck..not accross it. wipe that down and let it dry for a minute or two and apply your oil. i use mineral oil and don't know anything about almond oil but maybe someone else will.

i keep a fairly soft paint brush on my workbench for getting rid of dust around the tuning machines and bridges. i use a product call "original bees wax" to clean and polish the bodies on all the guitars that come in for work.

that's about it for a general cleanup..now setup? that's a different deal and there are plenty of threads and tuts describing that in depth.

I use lemon oil for my fretboards. You can get it at any home improvement store. I usually wipe the fretboard off with a clean cloth first to get most of the gunk off, then I rub it down with just enough lemon oil to wet the fretboard.

Smells wonderful after you are done, too!

Yup I'll handle setup. Just want to know how i can clean the guitar and its various parts without having to order GUITAR POLISH or FRETBOARD CLEANER. I read about Almond oil a long time ago while i was googling around. What exactly is Bee's Wax and what's it used for? Same for Mineral Oil. What is it?

Thanks UncleTJ. :D

"original bees wax" is basically an aerosol furniture polish. i've used it on all of my customers' guitars for years. it cleans and polishes and as their ad says, dries so hard that it won't finger print. good stuff. a little pricey but it lasts forever. check it out here..

http://www.admiralsantiques.com/original_bee.htm

mineral oil is something you can find at your local grocery store. it's sold as a laxative and has been for many, many years. it's also an fda approved salad bowl finish. it's clear and after you apply it just let it sit for a couple of minutes and then wipe off the excess. leaves a nice sheen to the board when you're finished. many wood turners use it. it's cheap and a bottle lasts forever. i treat a lot of fretboards with it and the bottle i have i've had for close to two years and it's still half full.