Setting Up Axe

spacepl

Hi,

I would like to get some basic information on how to properly set up an electric (a cheap strat copy to be exact). Could you help me out? I have seen a couple of sites but am not sure which strategy to follow. I do wish that there would be at least a sticky for noobies, such as me.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,

Philip

Thanks, I was looking for a tutorial that I could trust. One more question. I am a total noob, so please don't laugh. :D Someone told me that I can't take all the strings off at once without adjusting tension on the truss rod. Is that true ?

Edited by spacepl

Thanks, I was looking for a tutorial that I could trust. One more question. I am a total noob, so please don't laugh. :D Someone told me that I can't take all the strings off at once without adjusting tension on the truss rod. Is that true ?

You CAN take off all the strings at once without causing neck issues, BUT YOU SHOULDN'T because it COULD have negative affects and if it's a strat style with a tremolo, you'll likely drive yourself nuts (as a self proclaimed noob) trying to get it back in tune.

All strings very in string tension, even the same gauge from vendor to vendor. It is best to setup the guitar for a particular gauge string from a particular vendor, even then variances can occur.

You should be fine if you're only taking off the strings to restring it, never leave a guitar standing without strings though. Even on my floyd equipped guitars I tend to take off all the strings to restring (plenty of experience of getting it back into tune) as i like to give the fretboard a good clean which is much easier with the strings off.

spacepl, as a newbie myself, I have lived off the tutorials on this forum for about 2 years before I became registered. I have never found any bad information but I have found a lot of info that I wish I had found before I screwed up. Pick one of the tuts that makes sense to you, that you understand at least half-way decent and go with it. When you have a problem just be patient and post a question about the problem. A day or three and you will have your guitar setup. Just don't do like me. Go a little and test. It is very easy to mess up if you try to get it done too fast or in one attempt unless you are one of the masters on this forum. Rock till it hurts! :D Then rock some more!

With regard to the string changing, I almost always remove all the strings when I re-string.. Never had problems with the truss rod.. The only time you may have to adjust the truss rod would be when you change string gauge.. As for the Strat style tremolo, it'll save you quite a bit of annoyance if you tune the strings from the centre out.. In other words, D G A B E e.. Theoretically, building up the tension from the centre would let the string tension act evenly on the trem.. This works especially well for Floyd Rose trems and the like..