Deep Set Tenon - Glued in Neck

Hey,

I was just reading Brian's posts on the reverse neck pocket and I got a little confused. I was thinking of using a deep set neck tenon joint for my upcoming guitar project. I was under the assumption that the deep set tenon was just a longer routed cavity into the body of the guitar which would later be covered up with a veneer of some sort. Sort of like this guitar being built. Pictures are down near the middle/bottom of the page.

http://www.monaro.com.au/guitar/4.htm

From Brian's posts it sounds like the deep set tenon is routed out from the back of the guitar.

here is another link that tells a little bit on deep set tenons but still leaves me a little confused.

http://www.edromanguitars.com/tech/neck_tenon.htm

So I guess my main questions are where does the routed cavity go when using a deep set tenon? Can it go on either the front or the back of the body? Is the tenon joint just a rectangular sqaued off joint joint that dosent taper? Since the joint sits way into the body the pickup cavities are routed into the joint wood right?

On a totally different topic. Does anyone know of a good, cheap place to buy quilted maple?

Thanks everyone.

I've never built a guitar with this design.. but if you look close at the Jaros guitar on Ed Roman's site you'll notice that they cut out the top for the neck tenon.. about 3/4 of the way through the guitar.. thus the 3/4 deep set tenon.. means just that.. it goes three quarters of the way through the guitar and is a set neck.. just like Gibson does a set neck.. only difference is that the Jaros is extended to near the bridge part... that's where the deep tenon part comes in.. the only thing I notice is that you'll have to glue it together then route out the cavities which looks to be not so easy... But maybe I'm totally off base with this..

Matt

No offense Wes.. but I did look at the picture.. and it's not turned over. First off, just look at the Jaros neck.. it's tenon is almost even with the end of the fretboard.. less than 1/2 inch for sure.... the other necks like PRS and Quicksilver are Bolt-In necks.. thus they are made different.. also, if you look at the guitar where you can see the tone chamber, it's on the top of the guitar.. and look at the finished one.. it's also on top.. if it was upside down.. then it's definitely 2 different guitar types... I was inspired enough to research this some more.. since I really wanted to know.. lol... and found this link from Jaros guitars. It tells where he puts the back on the guitar first .. then cuts out the tenon slot on the top part.. here is the link... click on the link and then click on How We Build Them link from that page..

http://www.jaroscustomguitars.com/frameset.htm

Btw I like this design... and the tips he gives.. pretty cool...

oh i see...the explanation on ed romans site was unclear to me.so effectively the neck tenon runs through the middle of the guitar,since he puts a top on it afterwards.and that would take care of the routing problem with the pickups.i still say that cutting the pickup cavities has to be done without cutting the neck tenon all the way through.otherwise all you have is a 2 piece body with a set neck.

if i were doing it i would put it in the back.the physics of it seem like they would be better that way.

and of course no offense taken.that's what we are here for. :D

Yeah your idea is valid... would make sense.. and whose to say it's not a better way.. I only posted this because I had researched it some more and found out where he told how he did it.. what was neat was how they cut out the neck slot at an angle to give the neck an angle, so It just a set neck that's long..lol.. because it's the same procedure as any other set neck i guess... Yeah and I noticed that they didn't cut through the neck tenon completely.. so that's something to look for when trying this out. I don't know if I have the guts to try this style out just yet.. lol Wonder if we can sneak into their shop and watch em.. lol

i am considering using this approach on my next guitar which i am just starting.i have a beautiful crotch mahogany top which i don't want to break with the neck thru,but i don't want a bolt in.so i think that is what i will be doing.it will be an all mahogany beast by the way if you're interested.even the neck will be a 3 piece mahogany laminate.

Hey boys! Yeah the jaros guitar is how i designed my neck thru. its pretty easy i make my necks run al the way past the bridge on a 4 deg. angle. then you glue your top on. my tops are 9/16" at the bridge so i dont really have to much of the neck wood taken out for pickups. of course you need to make a special jig unless you have access to a milling machine! wich is what i am looking for. but its a nice joint and it is very strong! and theoretically the tone should be great! but i havent finished mine yet :D i need to buy tuners and electronics before i put a finish on it.