Types of Wood

daveq

If I were to build a guitar with a maple quilt top, what options would I have for the body wood (I want a transparent / translucent stain finish)? If I used something like Walnut or some other dark wood, wouldn't it look strange? Do I need a lighter colored wood for this to look good?

I don't think it would look bad at all. Have you ever seen the Ibanez Exotic Wood series? They put them out several years ago. Some of them had 1/4 inch thick maple tops on mahagony bodies with a natural finish, and i thought they looked wonderful. The different colours of the woods compliment each other. For some pics, go to Jemsite.com , and look in their guitar galleries. If you're thinking of doing a transparent coloured stain { blue, black, whatever }, then you should be okay, too. The Ibanez RG3120 has a flame maple top over a mahagony body, and they are stained either red or blue/green. The stain pretty well hides the colour difference between the woods.

Hope this helps!

Ben

Thanks for those replies.

Scott, you mentioned that Alder looks good with a transparent finish -

Do you (or anyone else reading this) think it would look good on it's own or were you saying it would look good with a maple top on it? I have an alder guitar ready for finishing now that I was planning on painting but it does look very nice natural. I just didn't think anyone did transparent finishes on alder without a fancy maple top? Let me know if you think it is worth trying.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

DaveQ

I just didn't think anyone did transparent finishes on alder without a fancy maple top? Let me know if you think it is worth trying.

Most of the Fender 3 tone Sunburst Strats are Alder. Some are Ash but the majority are alder. Take a rag dampened with Naptha and wipe down your guitar, that will give you an idea of what it will look like with a clear finish