Hello I'm A Newb

MiKro

Hello All,

I have been lurking here for awhile and finally am going to take the jump and start my first build. I have learned so much from this forum, and I thank ya'll for your indulgence with my questions. I have done much research here and now it's time to ask.

I have decided to build an Ibenez Artist type design. Double cutaway, tilt neck.

I have a good start on the body shape from Pictures but was wondering if someone had the true dimensions of an Artist body?

My plan starts with a Carvin Maple neckthrough paddlehead, Sapele wings with either a Lacewood cap or quilted maple cap. Gibson, 496R and 500T PUPs, Carvin hardtail bridge with string throughs and Carvin Tuners.

Again thanks for all of your help in advance.

Mike K

i dont know if ur heart is set on those pups, but personally i would use some different ones. Cant wait to see how it turs out thought, good luck and have fun building :D.

Thanks Duff,

The same PUPs are in my LesPaul 68 reissue and I think they will work fine for me. We will see what happens. My 1980 Artist was stolen about 6 years ago and I really enjoyed that guitar. So the reason for my build.

Thanks again,

Mike K

I dont know the actual dimensions your looking for, but I can tell you how to get them.

Look up the specs on your guitar and find the scale length. The scale length is the length between the nut and the bridge (the length of the actual vibrating part of the strings).

Now you got one dimension for your guitar. To get all the other dimensions you need, your going to have to find a to scale picture (a dead on front view); and print it out, so you can make a few measurements. (try and get a nice larger sized picture for more accurate measurements)

First, measure the scale length in your picture. Now take that number and divide it by the actual scale length. Your answer will be the percentage of the actual size. With that percentage, you can figure out any dimension of the actual sized guitar from your picture; by dividing your measurements from your picture by the percentage you got earlier.

For example, lets say the scale length is 25". The scale length in my picture is 4.5". Dividing 4.5 by 25, I get .18. So the guitar in my picture is 18% of the actual sized guitar.

I like to do everything by hand, not because I dont have the right tools(when I do), but the results always seem better when it takes more work. You can do this other ways too on the computer in photoshop programs and stuff too. I always like to do my drawings on graph paper in .5"= 1" scale. If this all seems to complicated, you can find a few more ways in these forums. :D

I dont know the actual dimensions your looking for, but I can tell you how to get them.

Look up the specs on your guitar and find the scale length.  The scale length is the <snip>  :D

Thanks,

i have already done that from the Ibenez website. But I'm afraid that it is not a DNuts on pic so I'll go by the feel of it.

Thanks again!!

Mike K

I got an old artist from around the same time, the one with IBZ/Dimarzio pups, and carved top and back. Great guitar, but I have to many, so if you want to give me an offer... :D

Seriously, if nothing else works out, I could draw you the dimensions and send to you. It will take some time to reach you across the Atlantic, but If you have the time to wait…

PM me if you want me to do it.

The main dimensions are:

Waist with: 19.0 cm

Lower bout with: 32.7 cm

Neck joint to end of body: 35.3 cm

Body thickness at edge: 3.0 cm

Body thickness at middle of body: 5.5 cm

Edited by SwedishLuthier

I got an old artist from around the same time, the one with IBZ/Dimarzio pups, and carved top and back. Great guitar, but I have to many, so if you want to give me an offer... :D

Seriously, if nothing else works out, I could draw you the dimensions and send to you. It will take some time to reach you across the Atlantic, but If you have the time to wait…

PM me if you want me to do it.

The main dimensions are:

Waist with:  19.0 cm

Lower bout with:  32.7 cm

Neck joint to end of body:  35.3 cm

Body thickness at edge:  3.0 cm

Body thickness at middle of body: 5.5 cm

Well SL,

You have made my day. I'll pass on purchasing the Artist and thanks, but the dimensions are greatly appreciated. Now I can adjust my drawing accordingly.

Man thanks again and Happy Holidays.

MIke K

I would suggest holding off on the lacewood or maple cap, mainly because, if you do that, you will also have to alter your Carvin neck. However, if you have already thought about it, and decided you can do it, by all means give it a try!

Primal,

Thanks for the input. I have decided that I am going to narrow the neck tenon top and bottom, then set it in as a full length set neck so I can use the cap and also have the sapele body for the back without the maple neck tenon showing through.

I see this as just a few more routing steps. I have been a workworker for years and this is just another joint to me. We will see how it comes out.

Just trying to find time is the hardest part. LOL!!!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays

MIke K

Edited by MiKro

Primal,

Thanks for the input. I have decided that I am going to narrow the neck tenon top and bottom, then set it in as a full length set neck so I can use the cap and also have the sapele body for the back without the maple neck tenon showing through.

I see this as just a few more routing steps. I have been a workworker for years and this  is just another joint to me.  We will see how it comes out.

Just trying to find time is the hardest part. LOL!!!

MIke K

Sounds good, bud! Being a woodworker, you have an advantage over many new guitar builders. I know that I didn't have a clue about woodworking until I started building my bass.

Can't wait to see it!

Sounds like a cool guitar.  My only comment is that, with that wood and pickup combo, the tone may not be all that different from your LP.  Sapele is very similar to mahogany....although, the maple neck may add a bit of bite that you don't get from a mahogany LP neck.

Erik,

Thanks for the headsup. I'm hoping that the maple top and neck do give it some more bite. Also the Carvin neck is a 25in scale and not 24 3/4 this should also change the tone. If not, then I'll try some other PUPS.

Mike K

Most LPs have a maple cap...is your '68 RI all-mahogany?  If so, then yeah it will sound different from your LP.

Erik,

You are correct about the maple cap on my LP Im hoping the maple neck and longer scale will change some. The sapele is denser than the mahogany so I hope it may add to some ( not much if any more than likely) difference.

What the he!!, it's my first build and gotta start somewhere LOL!!!

I still may choose to use a lacewood cap. I have a very nice bookmatched set that is beggin to be used. I could also do a swamp ash cap??

Thanks again,

MK