That Smooth Bass Feeling

Deja

I've had my bass for a while now, and it just doesn't play very nice. You know that feeling on higher range instruments where the strings just want to work with you, you know theyre really soft and good for slapping.

Well, i just cant seem to get that no matter how hard i try. Can anyone tell me if it's the strings or bridge or anything like that. I just replaced the crappy strings with ernie ball slinkys.

Thx

There are a lot of factors, but without well-adjusted action it's never going to happen.

Shorter scale lengths are helpful, IMO, but plenty of people do fine with any old scale length.

Greg

So you think just lowering the action will fix it. I got a standard 34" and nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

Nobody else has a problem with that scale length, or nobody else has a problem with your bass? ;-) 34" scale is pretty standard and should be fine.

Yeah, having low action is crucial for slap bass. Fairly light strings doesn't hurt, either.

It's a new bass, I take it? Then it probably just needs a set up. Take it to shop.

You know, I'm starting to understand how delicate this all is...minute changes in the guitar's setup can have a serious effect on its playability...

I've been having all kinds of problems with my telecaster lately --the weather changed and the neck's relief changed. I'm trying to get it back to where it was--it's almost there, but there's still a slight variation in string height that has made it much more difficult to play.

Before that, I had a problem with a couple of strings slipping on the saddles (the saddles weren't notched). The difference was barely visible --the B string went a little bit wide from the E, a bit too close to the G. I'm talking a difference of about 0.25 millimeters...and suddenly the guitar was unplayable!

You wouldn't think that a very small difference could have such an effect, but there it is.

So with a proper setup, maybe you'll really like your bass.

But it could be permanent -- I had a Ric 4001 I could never fall in love with. Just didn't like the neck, nothing to do about it.

And, now that I play guitar, I'm still not sure I like the Fender scale length and string spacing --every time I play my Gibson, it's a relief!

Well im sort of in a rural area so its a fair hike to a shop. I dont really have a problem slapping but they just arent soft enough for me, its probably just the string size, i got 45 - 105 ernie ball standard