Troubled Child

daveq

My wife is a teacher and she works with someone who has a student with some issues. His father is dying of cancer and his family is really struggling financially.

He really wants an electric guitar for Christmas. I offered to build one or buy one for him but someone else has already arranged to buy a WalMart package for him. He's in 7th grade.

I'm fine with that but here's my question - since his dad needs some quiet/peaceful surroundings, I want to give him a headphone amp. I don't know if the WalMart amp will have a headhpne out but even if it does, I still want to give him something nicer - something with some effects, ...

I have a POD Pro (rack mount) that I really love. I've been considering upgrading to the XT but I don't know if it's worth the huge price tag (around $650). I thought that if I did upgrade, I could give him my POD Pro. He'd have just about everything he would need in terms of effects for a beginner and it would likely sound 100x better than his Walmart amp.

So, do you think the XT is worth the price? I can find other preamps, effects, ... for him. It's not a POD Pro or nothing deal but it's one possibility and I think it would be a sweet deal for him.

Just let me say this - I know he doesn't NEED that much capability at this stage. It's just one option that may work out well in this situation. At his age, having something "cool" that other more fortunate kids may have is important - even though in the long run it's not. I remember that age too well.

What do you think? Upgrade (if you think the XT is worth the price tag), or give him something like a Rockman and stick with my POD Pro?

What do you think? Upgrade (if you think the XT is worth the price tag), or give him something like a Rockman and stick with my POD Pro?

I'd say something like a Rockman, Arion makes a little guy, doesn't sound great by my standards but...

Also, most of these corp kits come with little amps with headphone jacks, so I wouldn't be shocked if what was mentioned will come with one.

Just Get him an RP50!! he can play it with headphones and he can play it thru his amp, And as A plus he can take it any where because it takes batteries and it has Drum tracks, It's perfect for any one thats just starting out

And there Cheep!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

As someone who lost his father around the same age, I must say thank you. I wish someone like you had been around for me then, because it took a couple of years of therapy later on to fix a lot of things that were wrong with me after he died because. I had no one and nothing good to channel all that destructive energy into.

Instead of giving him a Pro, you might want to look for an original Pod or Pod 2.0. They're going pretty cheap these days. I've seen a couple for less than $100 recently. The RP50 doesn't sound too bad either, and the price point is pretty nice, plus he can use it with his amp. Same wit the RP100, as both are under $100.

As for upgrading to the XT Pro, I can tell you that it does sound better than the older Pod Pro, but I don't think it sounds good enough to spend the extra money if you already have a Pod Pro.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...