Yeah, there's some amp forums, which last time I really hung around a lot, had some hardcore guys who would rip me a new one everytime I came up with one of my*newbie ideas*. I'd even tell them I had built a Champ clone from scratch with junk parts, but that didn't pull much weight. However, those guys really know their stuff, if you keep your mouth shut and just watch.

I would like to know some Amp tutorials and all, and simplified reading as what to dos and what not to dos. I have some links about basics but I find it hard to follow from time to time. I hope you get these tutorials up and running and if you can, PM me the link when they are.

Agreed. If you want to also do intermediate and expert level tutorials, you should have a ratio as to how hard it is. So something 1 out of 10 is easy, 5 out of 10 is intermediate and 10 out of 10 is hard. Simple, nice, and easy is helpful.

-Jamie

• 2 months later...

Yeah, there's some amp forums, which last time I really hung around a lot, had some hardcore guys who would rip me a new one everytime I came up with one of my*newbie ideas*. I'd even tell them I had built a Champ clone from scratch with junk parts, but that didn't pull much weight. However, those guys really know their stuff, if you keep your mouth shut and just watch.

Speaking of Fender Champ Amp, I have a 1963 one that I got with my first guitar, the guy who sold it to my dad said that if I ever wanted to get rid of the amp, he wanted to buy it back. The guitar was crap, and I don't have it anymore, but you can bet I still have the ole' Champ. lol So you made one? I've always been interested in building amps, but just when I got all geared up, Line 6 amps came out. So I bought one of those, and figured I could never build one with such electronic chips as that, so I kinda gave up the amp building idea. But, yeah, It would be cool to build an old replica. I know Paul from Specialty Guitars can build old amps, very nice too.. I actually have an electronic tech degree, but I don't use it anymore, so I'd have to brush up on things.. hummm.. anyone have any spare tubes.. haha

How soon do you want to make one ? I can scan you some good info that will show you the whole deal from A to Z, but you know how lazy I am about scanning stuff.

What *I* need is a set-up to be able to check output trannys to know what amps they can be used for (what power tubes they can go with. What speakers they can go with).

I've got like a 'Sanford and Son' stockpile of electronics scrap stuff. Sometimes There will be an old radio or stereo out for the trash somewhere and I'll just start stripping parts off right there, using my swiss army knife. If my wife is with me, she'll take off after about 5 minutes. LOL

What *I* need is a set-up to be able to check output trannys to know what amps they can be used for (what power tubes they can go with. What speakers they can go with).

Well... there are two parts to that, basically. One is, for a given input voltage, what are the output voltages at the various taps. That's easy to measure. The second is how much power you can put through the transformer without damaging it. The only way to check that, unfortunately, is to put power through it until it stops working, then cut that value about in half and call that its power rating :D. If you've got one each of a bunch of different ones, that doesn't help you - you either need enough of the same one to test one by killing it, or you need to just look up its manufacturer's specs.

How soon do you want to make one ? I can scan you some good info that will show you the whole deal from A to Z, but you know how lazy I am about scanning stuff.

I just think it would be cool to make an old classic Fender amp if possible. I'm in no hurry though, since I don't have any parts.. lol Just something to do in the future.. BTW, I'd definitely be interested in any info you have on making amps..