P90s-mini Buckers?

yahilltrade

Normally minibuckers go in normal singlecoil routes. A P90 is considerably larger than a normal single coil - maybe 75% the size of a humbucker, as opposed to 50% for a single coil.

I think you're thinking of hot rails, which are humbuckers that fit into single coil routes.

Here's a link to what a minibucker actually looks like:

mini-humbucker

EDIT: Nevermind, GregP beat me to the chase.

Edited by thegarehanman

haha no a few weeks ago i was asking about pickup rings for a dif. guitar now im wondering if i could put p90's in a mini bucker spot because there routed to p90 cavitys.

Seems to me you were talking about a Gretsch Electromatic back then --did you bring that back and get another one or something?

You need to learn to give more info when you ask a question like this --or at least add links to a photo or two.

Now, here's something you can do --unscrew the pickups/rings and MEASURE the cavities on your guitar (or guitars).

With this info, you'll be able either to figure out which pickups, if any, will fit. Or at least provide that info and someone here can no doubt help.

:D

Does not compute, but you know more than I do, and that's not just an opinion but a fact. :D Still, in the interest of not just bowing to superior knowledge-- I saw a type of mini-bucker that sat in a retrofitted P90 shell, but I highly doubt that's the case with the Gibson-style minibucker, which was a creation onto its own. The tabs at the bottom of the picture posted earlier in the thread suggest an entirely different way of mounting than what the P90 uses.

Li'l 59 has the same form-factor as a hot-rails. It's still a single-coil-sized humbucker, which is still not a minibucker.

Still, just because I continue to doubt that it'll be a direct retrofit doesn't mean that you can't do it. There's nothing magical going on, they're just holes in the wood. Even if you make your own pickup rings or need to alter the cavity in some way or another, I'm sure it "can" be done.

Greg

Since I happen to have both pickup types here...

I compared a GFS minihumbucker (a 'Memphis') with a Mighty Mite soapbar p90 and a Gibson dogear P90.

The chrome ring on the GFS is indeed large enough to cover the Mighty Mite p90, including its cover. And I have a black plastic ring from GFS that is a bit larger.

On the other hand, the p90 pickup itself is a longer than the mini --if the guitar is routed only for the pickup, then you'd still have to route the guitar a bit. And a soapbar has no ring to hide the edges of that. And it wouldn't make sense to route a cavity large enough to contain the mini-humbucker's ring, would it?

The dogear pickup won't work at all, because of the dogears.

However, I must point out that I'm skeptical that yahill is actually dealing with mini-humbuckers. So perhaps he'll post a photo of what he's talking about...

Gentlemen... please let's not argue. Exhibit A:

http://www.gibson.jp/gallery/photo/gcs00203.jpg

I think this is pretty conclusive. Especially when paired with exhibit B:

http://www.guitarhaven.com/shop/mini.jpg

The Gibson mini-bucker is mounted in a modified p90 soapbar pickup cover. Therefore, it's pretty safe to assume it'll fit in the route for that pickup!

As will the p-90 sized EMG which was mentioned (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.gtrheaven.com/emg.htm

*However* that doesn't mean that it'll fit the original poster's Gretsch. It looks to me like the Gretsch minibcuker is similar in size to a p90,but mounts with a surface mouted pickup ring - not a modified p90 cover like the Gibson uses. I suggest the poster gets his hands on a p90 cover, and compares it to the route available. Even if the EMG fits the route, you'll have to find a way to fit a ring to conceal the old screwholes,

ok so for christmas im planning on buying emgs for my gretsch but i dont want to have to route stuff out and all that crap so.. the pickups that are in there right now are gretsch mini buckers but i was wondering if i could replase these with a p90 emg without haveing to cut route or ne thing? thanks guys

The Gretsch Pro Jet has the Gretsch mini humbuckers. Whether or not the EMG P90 will fit there is anybody's guess. I'd get out the trusty old tape measure and do some cipherin'.

Gentlemen... please let's not argue.  Exhibit A:

Yes, you're right. That's just what this yahill fellow wants...he figures he can drive us crazy guessing what the hell he's talking about. Next thing you know, we're scratching each others' eyes out.... :D

I refuse to help this guy any longer unless he starts providing the proper info, pictures, guitar model, etc.

When I think of mini-buckers, I think of these:

hdr.jpg

These are on a Firebird, but they have also been on various ___Hawk models, and probably on other Gibson guitars.

I have no doubt that people have mounted a type of mini-humbucker inside a P90 shell, and never have. I saw that earlier thread with the sweet-looking zebra mini-humbucker. :D But when I think of "mini-bucker", the above is what I imagine. One custom-chosen set of photos isn't conclusive proof in a world populated by hundreds of kinds of pickups.

Greg

Well, see, that's why the guy has to give more information about what he's dealing with.

Greg,I think those are the same pickups, just different rings --the LP in Setch's photo was retrofitted from a P90 to a mini-humbucker (because the owner probably didn't want to re-route his guitar for a humbucker. So either he modified a p90 ring or he used a conversion ring.

The mini-humbucker in your photo has the 'correct' rings to them. I believe those rings are the same size as normal humbuckers? Or pretty close--The GFS mini-humbucker provides rings that allow you to mount it on TOP of an existing humbucker ring.

I could be wrong, I'm sure I'll get 'corrected' myself.

(note, I'm not helping yahill here, I'm just discussing pickups... :D )

Greg, same pickup, different ring. The adapted p90 ring is the original mount for a mini-bucker, as used on LP deluxes.

Of course, the-artist-formerly-known-as-idch is bang on the money - why are we being asked this question at all? The original poster has the guitar, I'm sure he has access to a ruler and a screwdriver, and the EMG site lists the dimensions of the p90 size pickup they sell... so how hard is it to tell if it'll fit!

Coo. Now I see where y'all are coming from. I'm just a bit thick sometimes. I thought you were saying that a mini-bucker is "always" mounted in a retrofitted P90 ring.

idch, I dunno what I'm gonna do about the name change.

Greg