Just Sanding My Neck

User01

well i started to sand down my set neck on my guitar, and im having decent results, but the problem is that its not very precise and accurate, is there any other way i can remove the paint from my neck easily and accurately?

is there any particular paint remover i can user, or special sand paper?

also, does any one know where there is a tutorial which i could refere to?

thanks!

user01

Try whatever paint stripper you can find, get most of the goop off of there with that if at all possible.

As for sanding...you are sanding with a sanding block/blocks, right? Because sanding by hand, without blocks = bad, bad thing. Even strokes, even coverage, solidly backed sandpaper will go a long way.

Try whatever paint stripper you can find, get most of the goop off of there with that if at all possible.

As for sanding...you are sanding with a sanding block/blocks, right? Because sanding by hand, without blocks = bad, bad thing. Even strokes, even coverage, solidly backed sandpaper will go a long way.

thanks for the help

what should i look out for in paint strippers?

like what type and what brand etc?

thanks

user01

ok cool, so when the neck has been striped and sanded, what should i do to ensure it doesnt warp or get damaged?

p.s. when i play the partially stripped neck, i find my hands and the neck are a lot more sticky when i play, whats the deal with that? have i done something wrong?

thanks for your help

cheers

user01

WARNIG!!!

If you have plastic bindings on the neck (set neck suggests that) the stripper can melt the bindings! If you have plastic bindings I would recommend staying away from the stripper.

Mom always said I should stay away from strippers… :D

If you're just looking to for a soft, smooth finish on the back of the neck without taking it down to bare wood, then just grab a small sheet of fine grit sandpaper, put it in your hand as if you're playing the guitar and go up and down the neck. You can get that thick finish down to something much smoother without having to sand the whole thing to bare wood and oiling it.