Compressor

daveq

I am planning on using an Iwata revolution airbrush to paint my guitar soon. Can I use any type of compressor? I know I need something with enough power to sustain somewhere around 40 psi but other than that, I'm not sure. Can I rent one or do airbrushes require a special type of compressor (special filters, valves,...)? Will a mini-compressor work well?

Geez dude, you're really stuck on HVLP huh? First of all, an Iwata revolution is a fine detail gun for airbrush work, there isn't an HVLP on the market that will do what it can. HVLP is overpriced and IMO work half as well.

Anyway, all you need is a standard compressor as long as you have the right fittings. One with a tank is much nicer since you don't get any pulsing in the line. You don't need 40psi to spray with the revolution, 20 to 30 is plenty, but I hope you're not planning on spraying clear with the revolution, it will take you forever as it doesn't have a wide spray pattern at all.

Thanks LGM,

I wasn't planning on spraying the clear with it, but thanks for the warning anyway. I'll check out some compressors then - it looks like I don't need anything special (other than the tank you suggested). I don't think the HVLP gun would work well for what I am attempting to do, thanks anyway frenzy.

Dave

I have a separate compressor / holding tank scenario, and I use 2 in-line dryers, both sitting on top of the holding tank in a 'T' formation. One in front of the tank, the other after the tank.

Can't ever have too much protection against moisture in the line...

Moisture BAD, moisture BAD! :D