Gibson Put A Decent Heel On A Les Paul

The Floyd Rose isn't THAT out of place. Gibson did actually provide Floyd Roses and Kahlers as an option on Les Pauls sometime during the 80s IIRC.

I quite like that model actually, and the Townshend deluxe.

They really missed the boat on this one. But then don't they always? Two different colored pickups?! The heel should have been like David Myka's or Xlr8's. It's still got some silly hard angles on there that are completely unnecessary. A LP with a floyd is okay with me. Just don't route an older LP for an aftermarket floyd. But putting one on in the factory, or on a newer Crapaul is fine. Visually they could have totally nailed it, like some of the ESP's or older Aria Pro & Yamaha LP's. But instead, like you guys have said, it looks like a bad mod job. What a waste.

If I could compliment them on anything, it would be to have the courage to put two non-Gibson parts on there; the sustainer and the Floyd. That is something you don't usually see from them. They're all selfish and what not, putting their "branding image" ahead of everything else. What, did they buy out Fernandes and Floyd Rose? :D

<quote>2- Resonance. On a solid body, I'm not sure if this really makes a big difference but having the strings closer to the body is one of those things that intuitively, you would think that it would transmit more energy to the body and there fore, to the pickups.</quote>

The opposite, actually.

The taller the bridge, the greater the downward force from the string; which in turn leads to better energy transfer to the guitar body.

3- Pickup rings. Because the pickups can be positioned more deeply in the body, they can be mounted on the wood, not on a pickup ring. Believe it or not, electro magnetic pickups are sensitive to the vibration of the wood. decoupling the pickups and body doesn't make sense to me.

Only if the pickups aren't potted and even at that the difference is really regarded as mere voodoo. The type of wood and how the strings are coupled to it makes a lot more difference than how the pickups are mounted ever could.