Guitar Question

jay66

guitar1.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what brand this is? I'm thinking maybe Wards or sears. I bought this at a garage sale a few years ago for $20 the guy said its from the 40s or 50s. Its been painted and has a neck the size of a baseball bat plus the finger board looks like it was fine sanded with 60 grit. Its a hollow body with some kind of single coils,I thought it was kind of cool, I was thinking of stripping it and building a new neck for it and update the tuners and electronics. I might keep the pickups it has a pretty cool bluesy sound to it.

Jay

Thats the Harmony Stratotone. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape, might be worth a few bucks if sold to the right person. Lots of people out there collecting stuff like that.

Thats the one. Its not that great of shape though. Its been repainted, pretty bad job too. I think just being repainted drops the value quite a bit. I thought it would be a good project to fix up though.

You know, it's guitars like that that make me want to build!

When you say hollow, do you mean completely hollow, or is it chambered....would you mind posting some pictures of it with the pickguard removed? I'd be interested in seeing the construction on it --is it made out of real wood?

Yes its compleatly hollow. Ill post some pictures next weekend, I work 14 hr days this week

Jay

guitar1013.jpgguitar1012.jpg

You know, it's guitars like that that make me want to build!

When you say hollow, do you mean completely hollow, or is it chambered....would you mind posting some pictures of it with the pickguard removed? I'd be interested in seeing the construction on it --is it made out of real wood?

Ok heres a couple of pictures. All I can see inside it is one block under the bridge the rest looks to be hollow you can see the kerfing in the one picture also. I think its made out of wood maybe pine its real light. I guess Ill see when I get it sanded down.

What's the scale length ?

If it's 24", then it probably sounds a lot like my early 60's Kay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa.../kay12_05_2.jpg

Mine has the 3 bolt neck pattern just like yours. I suspect they were made in the same factory. Mine is also hollow, made of what I think is probably a hard-wood laminate (aka deluxe plywood).

Be damn sure that guitar has a hack-job refinish before taking it off. You probably are not going to add value with a refin anyway. Actually an old hacked finish might be more desirable for many people than a recent properly done job.

These kind of cheap hollow guitars are not heavy metal guitars at all, and no one should try to turn them into that. I've seen these things on ebay where some bozo routed the body for buckers, etc. Thought he/she would turn it into some kind of LP just because of the shape. They're just not built for that kind of sound. I'm not saying that you are in that catagory, because I have no idea. Just accept the guitar for what it is, that's all.

I know. You'll understand better when you're older, when you start thinking about everything you own as something you might have to sell, because of money problems, or moving, or because you really end up not liking it, but hope it's not too hard to find someone else who will like it and pay some decent money for it. Well, if only I could go back in time, and effectively preach this to myself.

What's the scale length ?

If it's 24", then it probably sounds a lot like my early 60's Kay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa.../kay12_05_2.jpg

Mine has the 3 bolt neck pattern just like yours. I suspect they were made in the same factory. Mine is also hollow, made of what I think is probably a hard-wood laminate (aka deluxe plywood).

Be damn sure that guitar has a hack-job refinish before taking it off. You probably are not going to add value with a refin anyway. Actually an old hacked finish might be more desirable for many people than a recent properly done job.

These kind of cheap hollow guitars are not heavy metal guitars at all, and no one should try to turn them into that. I've seen these things on ebay where some bozo routed the body for buckers, etc. Thought he/she would turn it into some kind of LP just because of the shape. They're just not built for that kind of sound. I'm not saying that you are in that catagory, because I have no idea. Just accept the guitar for what it is, that's all.

Yes its a 24" scale and the finish isn't that old. the guy I bought it from did it. runs, orangepeal,and sand marks. And no I wasn't going to turn it into a heavy metal machine. Just make it playable and give it a good finish.

Jay