Hey What Do You Guys Think About The Binding Dremel Attachments?

Stew

I'm about to take on my first binding project. I've been eyeballin' those Dremel attachments for routing out the canal to place binding. I'm very handy and comfortable with the Multi power Dremel tool and was wondering if anyone has had success with this attachment?

BTW, anyone have some great tutorals on applying binding?

- Stew

My 2 cents: I have the StewMac dremel router base and the edge guide. I've done 3 or so guitars with it. I've still been using it for headstock binding. IMO, a dremel is only just about strong enough to do multi-pass routing for headstock binding; thin, shallow cuts. It's utterly and completely underpowered and not accurate enough to deal with body binding.

Get a laminate trimmer and use an edge guide similar to the dremel one (they exist) and a downcut spiral bit, or get get the binding router bit sets that StewMac and/or LMI sell. But please use something with enough power for the job if at all possible; the dremel is not it.

FWIW, I've used a Dremel with Stewmac's router base and edge guide to bind a couple of guitars, including a LP style with 7 layer binding on the front, 5 layer binding on the back and 3 layer binding on the headstock. It worked ok, but I did make numerous passes - it didn't take very long and I wasn't in a hurry. I ended up having to use it with the edge guide on the LP because I carved the top before I cut the binding channel (which was stupid).

I can't say that I am terribly happy with the dremel and Stew Mac binding channel attachment. First of all, adjusting the highth of the cut is very difficult. You set the bit and tighten it down. Then you screw on the guide to see how deep it will cut. Usually it is slightly off (and on binding "slightly" REALLY matters). No good so.. You un-screw the guide and make an eyeball adjustment. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Secondly, it simply seems impossible to get a consistent depth (thickness) on the channel. I make multiple passes on a flat top guitar and still I seem to get a lot of variation in the depth and a little wander in the up/down dimension of the cut.

In short, if there was a reasonably priced jig for my regular router I would never use the Dremel again. Unfortunately, pattern bits with exactly calibrated difference between bearing and cutter are hard to find. I think LMI has them for their usual outrageous mark-up. Anyone know of a reasonably priced alternative?

Stewmac has a set as well. That's the one I have. It cost me $80(I think); I have heard that lmii's is substantially better than stewmac's(and it comes with more bearings). I have had nothing but excellent results with stewmac's cutter/bearings though. I consider it an accurate and durable product for what it costs considering good cutters are normally kind of pricey anyhow. If you're going to the bind bodies, necks, and/or headstocks on several guitars, you'll thank yourself for getting one of these sets.

peace,

russ

Unfortunately, pattern bits with exactly calibrated difference between bearing and cutter are hard to find.

A few wraps of tape on the right bearing helps with getting just the right edge depth.

Dont you have the problem of the tape falling off? Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of tape, but I had the same issue with the Stew Mac neck pocket template. It is oversized and you are supposed to use tape. The tape would just fall off the smooth steel bearing as soon as I started routing. Didn't try with other tape. I just assumed it would all be the same.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...