Maple top stained blue

cerealk

I generally prefer flame to quilt, but that is gorgeous... :D

B)

• 2 weeks later...

You have choices with translucent colour - you can either apply directly to the wood, which done correctly tends to produce more vivid figuring, but can kill the way figured wood dances in shifting light. Drak's work is a virtual masterclass in this stuff - he's real **** and it shows in the quality of the final product :D

You can also simply add dye to your laquer after sealing the wood. This leaves the figure free to dance like crazy, though the overall effect is usually less 'in your face', I belive LGM's orange/amber/I'm colourblind sorry if I got it wrong Ibanez with quilt top used this technique.

Thus far I've only tried the dye in laquer technique, and I'm pretty happy with it; see the blue quilt DC below...

m2794021-6330.jpg

So many more people who like blue, it's incredible!

Anyway.... I like flamed maple but I think that on some guitar, like the custom shop Wolfgang, the flaming is perhaps a bit too linear. But I don't really like the extreme quilt form either.

So the perfect balance... fiddleback! It looks evil!

I am planning to stain mine deep blue with a burst of black around the edge if I can manage it. The translucent blue from reranch looks good. I was also thinking of trying the two stage dying idea to get a really deep 3D blue effect. I worked it out as:

Finish back of guitar body and inside cavities black to establish a base. Attach veneer. Spray one coat of thin black dye. Backsand veneer gently to re-expose the high spots. Cover with mask and spray black burst. Spray blue. Seal, clear coat.

I don't know if that's the right order but it's the one which seemed the most logical to me at the time while I was thinking about it. I'm just worried about getting a nice clean join between the veneer edges and the body, so it doesn't look stuck on.

Any links to good sites about applying veneers? So far I know about bookmatching them, centring them, marking their positions, taping them in place, that I should glue the body NOT the veneer and to press into place with lots of sand in plastic bags.

I guess a VERY thin layer of glue is needed with the thinner ones right? Don't want nasty bubbles and kinks in it! :D

Here's some nice piccies from reranch. I particularly like the first!

bluemaplesmpl.jpg

dimasitele.jpg

dimasitele1.jpg