How Should I Cut This Inlay?

JOBeirne

Hope you have a few :D hours and patience to spare... plus a jeweler's saw and lots of blades.

I recommend you check out this inlay tutorial and also read Larry Robinson's "The Art of Inlay." I got the majority of the info I needed from those.

I lost track, but I think I spent about 80-100 hours on my first inlay. vine inlay

Mike

Did they sell you the shell too? If not, this template will probably be useless. Cutting the shell to fit into a hole is much harder then cutting the hole to fit the shell. Normally, you cut the shell first and then use the shell to make your pattern.

About all that template is good for is tracing your pattern onto paper.

Yes, you'll use the dremel to route the cavities to receive the inlay.

Make sure you read and re-read the tutorial and the book until you fully understand all the steps. And practice routing on scrap before you start on the real thing. It takes a lot of practice to route nice tight-fitting cavities.

Mike

You can definiely do this inlay but, like mentioned above, the "template" will be useless except to draw the pattern onto paper.

What you'll want to do is transfer the pattern onto paper, cut out each shape using an x-acto knife, then attach each cut out piece to your chosen piece of inlay material using double sided adhesive. I like to then put a layer of masking tape over the whole thing to reduce shattering of the shell and redraw the pattern on top of the masking tape so you have a good clean line to follow with your jeweller's saw. Once you get the pieces cut out (this will take MANY hours/days and countless blades for your saw), then you can attach them to the fretboard in their proper positions with a SMALL dot of glue, scribe around each piece with the x-acto, pry piece up carefully and use your Dremel and some small carving chisels to clean out the cavities (this will also take many hours/days).

This way, each cavity is tailored to fit a specific piece (be certain to number your pieces or you will guaranteed get lost) so there is no realistic way of using that template to actually cut the pieces out.

See what we're getting at?

A jeweller's saw is so precise and easy to use once you get the hang of it that I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I assume by scroll saw you mean the electric variety? Seems to me that it would be okay for Gibson style fret markers but I can't see using it for anything overly detailed...we may be thinking of two completely different tools however...

Yes, that's the tool I was thinking of. I have one in my shop but it almost never gets used. The blade on the scroll is MUCH bigger than on the jeweller's saw, plus I prefer the control of hand cutting over electric cutting.

Not saying it's impossible, just seems kind of pointless to risk an intricate inaly (not to mention fingertips) on an electric saw that has too large a blade for the job.

Just my 2 cents... :D

Watch your fingers for heaven's sake. That's another advantage of a jeweler's saw: there's no danger in working with tiny pieces. Definitely don't try to put a jeweler's saw in the scroll saw; I don't want to think about what could happen if your hands were close to theblade when it brakes.

peace,

russ

The major advantage to a jewelers saw is that you can, in real time, continously, adjust the angle, speed, and direction of cut. Pearl is thin, fragile stuff; you sometimes want to slow down, stop even, make very tight curves at lower speeds, change the stroke, and generally just feel how the saw's cutting. I wouldn't ever want to be without that immediate tacticle feedback from both the saw AND the piece being cut.

Oh, and there's still danger. I tend to, uh, saw little kerfs into my fingernails from time to time. No blood, though, because you notice when its happening.