Hardtail "rainforest" Jem

Hey, me again

Just adding 1 to the single cole thing, I like the YJM too, but just one comment, if you do not want to get too much of a yngwie sig tone (not to affend you TS), but I would then suggest the Fast Track 1 or the Chopper as Yngwie (N Vay) :D used those before he had his custom made. Due to them not being so ...erm....like Yngwie's special twang tone...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the neck, it's in pretty good nick. Will clean up a treat, anyway. Already gave it a quick fretpolish and fretboard clean, looks great. The wood in general looks a bit darker compared to my 05 RG, I'm guessing because it's obviously older and been out in the weather for longer.

It's stamped May 01 on the heel. Back of the neck is rather sticky thanks to years of seemingly never being cleaned. Rubbed down the back of the neck a little bit, which did help.

Edited by neocon58

Nothing much to report, other than I am still waiting on the bridge/tuners/nut to arrive.

Won't be buying a bridge pickup just yet, and when the time does come, I'll be buying either an Evo, Evo 2, or FRED, depending on what is on ebay at the time. There is always at least one or two of the three somewhere on ebay that will ship to Oz.

Edited by neocon58

Nothing much to report, other than I am still waiting on the bridge/tuners/nut to arrive.

Won't be buying a bridge pickup just yet, and when the time does come, I'll be buying either an Evo, Evo 2, or FRED, depending on what is on ebay at the time. There is always at least one or two of the three somewhere on ebay that will ship to Oz.

Glad to see that this thing is rolling, im really looking forward to seeing progress on this one dude... Who knows... i could give it a nice new home when your done? :D:D

~~ TS ~~

Haha, yeah I'm glad I'm moving along too. I hate sitting around when things can be done so I get into it! The hardest thing about doing this as a school project is you have to pace yourself out throughout a whole year! On the plus side, my parents are funding some of the project, only because it's through school and it's my senior year there! So I'm happy about that.

I'm getting one of those cheapass "Pure Tone" Humbuckers from Ebay for the neck position, that will fill the space nicely for the time being until I can afford an Air Norton or PAF Joe.

The single coil position will be filled by an old "Suzuki" pickup from an old school strat copy. My friends giving me that for free so that's cool! As for the bridge pickup, I'm definently getting the exact one I want for that, which will probably be a Fred or EVO 2.

I'm sure you could give it a nice new home, I don't think I will let you though!

I was just thinking of what else I need to buy...

- Primer & Green (some jungle-looking shade of green) for base coat (spray cans).

- Bridge Humbucker (Praying for a FRED or EVO 2. In fact, after all this time thinking about Evos I completely forgot about the FRED, which makes some of the coolest tones I've ever heard (via Satch's godlike hands, mind you).

- Body Blank (Poplar, one piece)

- Strap buttons (Probably rip the straplocks off of my TD Strat and chuck them on the JEM, then put regular strap buttons on the Strat)

I also need to buy/bribe a good artist at my school to paint the design on the body & headstock.

I also need to buy/bribe a good artist at my school to paint the design on the body & headstock.

I had the same problem when i refinished my JEM/RG project, the best thing i found was to go to the art dept' and talk to the art students. Explain to them what you want doing and 99% of the time they are more then happy to just draw 'cause they need the practice for exams etc.

Good luck man

~~ TS ~~

Not much to update on, other than the Tuner, Bridge and Nut came in today. Will be picking them up soon and will up some photos.

Got some photocopies of my design plan so I'm ready to go into school and create a template. I'll let you know how that goes.

EDIT: My input jack came in too, so that really only leaves the selector, pots, bridge pickup, body blank and paint.

Edited by neocon58

Got the hardware today, and damn, the strings have to be strung through the body. I was under the impression that the strings could be strung through the back of the bridge, but not on this one.

Which means I'm going to have to do something like what I guess you'd find on the back of a tele, those little ferrule thingos holding the ball ends.

Too bad I have no idea how to do that. What do I do, just drill a small holes for the strings and insert the ferrules in the back and they will just hold?

Some help please!

EDIT: I suppose I can just use a drill press, drill straight through and press in some of those flanged ferrules.

Edited by neocon58