Hardtail "rainforest" Jem

I actually started planning this a while ago, so I will give you guys a breif run-down on what I'd like to achieve and then you can check out my thread at ultimate-guitar.com and give me any suggestions you like!

3.jpg

*Very basic mock up of what I am going for*

My objective is to make a hardtail JEM in a rainforest design. I have already obtained a green mirror RG style pickguard and a Wizard II neck. I plan to buy a body blank in the near future and go to town on it with a bandsaw rather than going for a pre made body. I have considered several colours and designs, but I think I have come down to a rainforest design, which would see the headstock and body refinished all "green and foliagey' :D .

Anyway, there is a TON more info at the Ultimate Guitar thread, so I suggest you give it a read through if you like. Warning to 56kers though, quite a few pics already, mostly of mock up designs and whatnot.

HERE is the ultimate guitar thread:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showt...d.php?p=4824973

If you have any questions or suggestions, or would like to flame me for making a JEM with a hardtail, please do so here!

Edited by neocon58

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I like the city one too, I just prefer the Rainforest idea, especially now I have a nice pickguard to do the job.

The rainforest design will probably be painted on by a friend. It's obviously not going to be as detailed as the mock up (in which a photo was used), but thats the whole point, it's meant to look like a painting, it's meant to look arty, it's meant to be an unusual looking guitar!

The neck has a fine finish crack in the headstock (I am told this means the light finish covering the black plastic on the headstock). This was another reason I considered refinishing the headstock.

If I remove the thin black plastic from the headstock and sanded underneath for painting would I have any problems when installing tuners because the headstock is too thin?

Nothing much to update you about. Expecting the neck to arrive in a few days, and expecting the pickguard any day now.

Time to bore you with specs!

Body wood: Unless something else comes up, Poplar. It's cheaper than alder, a little heavier, and has a similar tone, supposedly. Closed grain so finishing shouldn't be too painful.

Pickups - Dimarzio, Tone Zone or perhaps evo for bridge, (any suggestions for neck pup?).

Now the pickguard I have is a H/S/H setup, I know nothing about single coils, so can anyone suggest a single coil that will work well with dimarzios?

I reckon I will go for a simple 3 way switch.

As far as cutting out the monkey grip I will use the tutorial on project guitar.

Anything else I think of I will post.

I really like the design imo. Its excellent. Its hard for someone not to steal your concept (don't worry, i am not planning to trace your idea). Yep its good, but a HARDTAIL?!?

Man, what you should really do is if you can't afford, is to get a speedloading Floyd Rose from www.guitarfetish.com and colour it green with spray or enamel or dipcoat. Same goes with tuners and knobs...etc. Cos if your going for the green forest look, then you should go all the way with matching pickup covers too!!

Ever considered a material finish with high quality print on photo paper? Just a suggestion. You proprably would have thought of that. But I totally respect the material finish lol.

Can wait to see this done. Man. If I were to build one like this, I would definately hang it on a bare wall then expacd the forest to the rest of a bedroom wall by painting it. As if the guitar was a jigsaw piece, get it? lol to act as a part of a larger forest. Then when you take the guitar to play, there would be an outline of the RG body and neck with no forest hehe!!

:D

Anyways, good luck!

Nice ideas!

The bummer thing about doing this through school is I have to have plans submitted by certain dates, and since I'm in my senior year, everything gets moderated by the department of education, who may frown upon me making changes. Unfortunately I think I am stuck with a hardtail, not enough time and experience up my sleeve this time around. I will certainly take your idea about colour scheme into consideration, whether it happens, well since I've submitted my plans, it's basically up to the school!

Will be talking wood with my tech teacher on monday, he might be able to get some cheap good wood through the school.

I do appreciate everybodys advice. Thanks for checking out the thread! :D

:D

EDIT: Regarding colour schemes...Pickup covers, nice idea! I never even thought of that.

Edited by neocon58

Yer, what course in school do you take?

I personally take GCSE's and right now I am doing a guitar myself for project, but you are one lucky Bas***d to be able to use a current design.

I am forced by my tech teacher to make my own design. I think he want me to do this because originally, i wanted to build a telecaster but unfortunately my tech teacher is a big telecaster fan so he doesn;t want my custom to beat any of his (and yes, he plays guitar professionally, very well in fact).

PS: Your work should be collected in, in periods, but you can always adjust things when you hand in your final copy. Mine is already 83 A3 pages full of work and still i havn't began the manufacturing section. SO think how I would feel with all that hard work if my teacher or the examination board would not let me make some adjustments.

PPS: To build a guitar is a big challenge 4 a skool student so as long as its good, no one would even care how much you ammend!

Hope this could cheer you up

Thanks for that Sambo. I was pretty stumped as far as single coils and the neck pickup. I'll certainly look into it. :D

The evo 2 has a wider dynamic range, am I right? Like, you can go balls to the wall but really clean up the sound when you roll back the volume (and pick lighter)? Sounds pretty awesome to me!

I'm thinking green tops for the pickups, to go with the paintjob. Or perhaps a green/black for the humbux.

Edited by neocon58

I ordered my hardtail, machineheads, and locking nut today. They are all black, very sexy!

I also had a look at pickup prices today. Bottom line is there is no way I can afford the three pickups at retail prices. I'm not even interested in a single coil, it's just the pickguard I bought is routed for a H-S-H setup. The HS-3 is $175 AUD by itself.

I'm going to be looking at ebay for Evo 2s and Air Nortons. If I see a single coil on there for cheap, I'll buy it too. It has also been suggested to me to just grab a crappy singlecoil from anywhere and not bother wiring it up. Saves time and money, and money is something I don't have a lot of.

I still want an Evo 2/Air Norton combo though.

Edited by neocon58

Just helping out a little here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dimarzio-EVO-2-Humbuck...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-F-spaced-Evo-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dimarzio-DP215BK-Evo-2...1QQcmdZViewItem

THis one is quite suitable

http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-F-spaced-Nort...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you're feelin cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIMARZIO-DP193-AIR-NOR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or try Universal Jems - (btw, u live in the states? And brian, if you are there, why are the dimarzios on your site only for US only???

Lol yeah!

Well, the green pickup cover idea has basically gone out the window, since even if I wanted to pay full price, I can't get them in through my local store, so I've basically reverted to my original plan. Green body and headstock with BLACK hardware including pickups, bridge, nut, knobs, machine heads, etc.

I dont know if ive understood the whole thread correctly but why dont you just buy your normal hardware, and then chuck on some of THESE

I REALLY look forward to seeing this completed, as many people know, im a huge JEM fan and anyone building a jem style guitar gets attention :D

~~ TS ~~

Wow, those look like an awesome idea! I'll look into them. Thanks for your input, man. I appreciate you checking out the thread. :D

I dont know if ive understood the whole thread correctly but why dont you just buy your normal hardware, and then chuck on some of THESE

I REALLY look forward to seeing this completed, as many people know, im a huge JEM fan and anyone building a jem style guitar gets attention B)

~~ TS ~~

Wow, those look like an awesome idea! I'll look into them. Thanks for your input, man. I appreciate you checking out the thread. :D

Glad i could help bro :D

Good luck with the build

~~ TS ~~

Just thought id help organise things for you bro...

If you ordered 5 pickup bobins for your project in green, shipped to you (australia right?) then itd only cost $13.50 (usd)

I said 5 since 2 x 2 for the humbuckers and one for the single coil, thats if you make all of them full green :D

Pickups - Dimarzio, Tone Zone or perhaps evo for bridge, (any suggestions for neck pup?).

Now the pickguard I have is a H/S/H setup, I know nothing about single coils, so can anyone suggest a single coil that will work well with dimarzios?

I only just caught this part of your thread... have you decided what SC your going with yet? if not may i recommend the YJM? Ive been using one for a little while now in my backup guitar and i absolouty love it, definitly considering adding one to the rest of my guitars :D

~~ TS ~~

I'm going to be using either an EVO or EVO 2 for the bridge pup, and at this stage, since I'm not overly fussed right now, my uncle is going to hook me up with one of his old single coils and an unknown dimarzio humbucker. I don't mind, saves me a ton of money, and I'm still making sure I get exactly what I want for my bridge pickup. So yeah, still the H/S/H combo obviously.

Considering that includes shipping, that's good! Thanks for that.