Hardtail "rainforest" Jem

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its the folwer thaT bugs me. Ruins everything. Everything is green and black then all of a sudden red with pink???

Aww, don't say that! I thought it looked boring as sh!t with the old design, and I stated all along I wanted it to be an unusual guitar. I actually like the flower. Sure, the green and black is cool but when the flower hit's you it really brigtens up the guitar.

I could paint little red flowers next to the headstock logo to even it out a bit.

I like the look of that first one!

How do you guys get your templates perfect size and shape? I've used a bandsaw to get a rough cut, but still need to sand down to the lines. I'm guessing I will just have to use a combination of hand and belt sanding.

I should have bought a damn template, I could have had my body half finished by now!

Hmm, we might have a drum sander at my school.

I was gonna do the easier parts (the basic shaping and whatnot) with something like this:

http://www.shopfoxtools.com/images/W1708.jpg

The harder bits, like the cutaways and whatnot will require a drum sander or dremel type thing I suppose.

When you speak of a drum sander, you are referring to something like this, I assume?:

http://www.intarsia.com/Flex-Drum-Sander.jpg

Edited by neocon58

I thnk he means something like a RoboSander or a spindle sander. When I read "drum sander" I thought of this.

BTW:

- ONE PIC PER POST., except in the Tutorial sections, where you are allowed up to 10 pics per post.

- DO NOT HOT-LINK TO PICS NOT OWNED BY YOU AND ON YOUR OWN SERVER. Use the URL tag instead to provide a link to the pic.

Shaping of the template is now done. I still have to rout the cavities, etc, but I think I will wait until I've got my blank.

A relative has chipped in some money as a gift, so when it hits my bank account I have enough money for the run home! (enough money to cover pretty much everything else I need to buy!)

I still need the bridge pickup, body blank, some misc items (screws, pots, etc) and paint (spraycan primer/filler, spraycan metallic green (booyah!)). I'm gonna be borrowing other paints for the design.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn phone cameras. It looks like complete crap compared to real life. I'll grab a digital camera and take some better shots soon. You can't see the metal flake at all.

Image007.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

It looks awesome under proper room lights or sunlight. The back and sides of the guitar are going to be this colour, as is the front, however much of the front is going to be covered by the design.

After two days of work, I have decided the colour I chose is absolutely freaking disgusting. I'm now kicking my self for being stupid enough to consider such a colour. It dosen't go with the theme at all.

I've gone back to the shop and picked up some darker greens that are a closer match to the pickguard. I'm gonna be respraying the headstock soon.

I'm glad I got the better colour now, but still fuming that I already wasted my time spraying on that sh!tty colour.