Mold On Neck

I really thought it was mold since, in person, (I'm not sure if you can tell in the pictures) it does look like it was sanded in those areas, and I thought the unfinished areas got moldy. But as long as most of you (people who actually know what they're talking about) think it's just some kind of chemical reaction of some sorts, then that's good enough for me (and hopefully my friend).

If he brings it up again I'm smashing that damn guitar , cause that's all he's been talking about since he got it. "What do you think it is? Is it mold? Could it be this? Could it be that?" Shut the **** up it was free. In some ways having your neighbour as a bandmate is a blessing and a curse.

Thanks a lot for all the help people, if only my bro's camera wasn't all screwy this problem could have been solved 15 posts ago.

EDIT: ^ that pic is a little blury, but I don't think it's the same thing cause it's not that bright of a green.

Edited by L_Z_Nut

^^ looks like the same type of growth pattern or whatever you call it, but his is a little green in colour and that ones more grey. But it definately looks like the same thing only a dif colour.

BTW are band name won't be "Fungus" that's just riduculous it's gonna be "The Fungis".

Thanks again for all the help.

This is odd, but I've only had to deal with this problem one time and it was with a from scratch build neck. What happened was, after it was finished (painted too) about 3 months later, you could see a light streak of blue between on one side of the neck wood where it meets the rosewood. It spread out almost an inch wide and about 3 inches long from about the 1st fret to 3rd. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what had happened. After days of thinking about it, I finally came upon a conclusion. When I was building the neck, I gouged the edge of the fingerboard beyond repair.. yeah I know, I know, it was back in the day.. lol Anyway, I used the iron steam trick to remove the fingerboard, and my conclusion was that since the wood wasn't streaked before, it came from not letting the wood dry out again, before finishing it. So, my lesson learned was that if I ever had to reintroduce moisture to wood, always let it dry out back to the correct moisture level before I continue to use it in a build.