Fretting tools...

So far I read the tutorials that show how to make radius blocks, Brians Fret Bender, Brians Fret Beveling tool, and I made nut slotting tools out of feeler guages with roughed up edges that works really well. I'm trying to think of all the other things I'll have to buy or make in order to do a complete neck from scratch. I already have access to a router, bandsaw, etc. But looks like I'm still gonna have alot of money to fork over.. These are some things I know I'll have to buy. Arbor press and cauls, neck support caul, adjustable fret slotting file, assortment of fret files, fret end dressing files, and clamps. I'm about to order all these tools, if anyone knows of a way to build some of these tools or can think of any other tool I might need in order to build a neck, please let me know.. thanks

Matt V

These are some things I know I'll have to buy.

Arbor press and cauls - Don't need this. You can hammer your frets with a regular ballpien (sp?) hammer. You may need a little more dressing if you hammer, but it's been the accepted technique for at least 100 years.

neck support caul - Make one, or use cork blocks with a 'v' cut into them. Alternatively, fret the neck whilst it's still square, then carve it once fretted.

adjustable fret slotting file - No idea what this is, so I'm pretty sure you can do without it :D

assortment of fret files - I'd hold of buying an 'assortment'. One fret dressing file will suffice.

fret end dressing files - A regular file will do for this. Brian has a great tutorial illustrating his fret end technique, using a common or garden file in a DIY wooden block.

and clamps - You can never have too many clamps B)

I'm about to order all these tools, if anyone knows of a way to build some of these tools or can think of any other tool I might need in order to build a neck, please let me know..  thanks

Matt V

Basically, you don't need half the Stew Mac catalogue to build a guitar. Much of that stuff is great for saving time when you are building many guitars for a living, but they are luxuries for an amateur.

yeah yeah, what the other guys said, AND

buy a pre-slotted fret board. $5 extra is cheaper than the jig and saw, and templates and TIME.

get friendly with the guitar tech at your local store. Borrow his nut files, or even get him to do the final setup. The slippery nuts like graphtec etc are hard enough to cut without having to use some make shift cheap solution.

as for files, go to lowes or depot and buy nicholas brand files, they are nice and are inexpensive. i bought a st of the jewlers files wich are great for all types of work on a guitar and i bought a 6" triangle file, then i took my dremel with a grinding wheel and i ground off the burs on the corners of the file then i just polished em up a little so its nice and smooth,this helps protect the fret board and its cheaper than buying stewmacs for 20$!