Mike Bloomfield string set-up

Greetings from Nevada! It is my understanding that Bloomfield and other guitarists would replace the "E" and/or "G" string with a banjo string. My question: What gauge? I presently use Gibson's Vintage Reissue (.011 thru .050), but am switching to .013/.014 thru .052, as I like to "bend" notes a lot. In a book I read, Bloomfield supposedly gave the following advice: Throw away your "E" string and drop all the other strings down one, or use a banjo string for your 1st. string. Thanks for any input and/or experience with this configuration.

I can't imagine that there's anything special about a banjo string. I play the banjo and you buy light, medium, or heavy gauges just like for the guitar. That doesn't make any sense to me.

If, however, you move all the strings down one and put a heavy string in place of the 6th (which is now actually the 5th) you've just made a barritone guitar. Tune it from B to B and wail! You might have to tweak the notches in the nut for the thicker strings, but it's an easy job.

I don't understand it either(?)I think I need to find out if a medium gauge banjo string

has an equivalent .015 diameter or larger, because if it doesn't, I REALLY don't see the point, since a set of .014 thru .050 are packaged and sold by Gibson. I can't imagine using a banjo string for the top "E"...who "bends" those notes? Thanks for the input about how banjo strings are gauged (L-M-H).

Arrow head is correct - in the early days of electric guitar strings were still very thick - which is great if you're looking to drive an accoustic guitar soundboard, but unnecessary when your using magnetic pickups. To create a thinner string set many players simply bought the highest pitch, lightest gauge banjo string and substituted it for the high e-string, then moved each string up, discarding the low E all together. The most famous example of this is Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath.

Today there is no need to do this, since light guage strings are more common place than heavys - every where has 9's, but only larger stores seem to carry much above 10's.