Mexican Bass 4 Strings

Hi friends im working on my custom bass, ill apreciatte a lot any sugestion an ideas for that project.

Specs

Body

Maple and Tzalam, tzalam its a beautiful wood and its knowing like "mexican walnut".

Scale 34"

24 frets

4 strings

Bridge Schaller.

Pickups Ultrajazz Dimarzio.

I want to make an active system but i dont know, i want to buy a Bartolini pre.

Here we go.

DSC05068.jpg

Two tzalam pieces with a mahogany strip.

Glueing the body.

Body

Neck wood its tzalam and mahogany.

neck

Body ready to glue.

ready

Cavities in the tzalam, i made an especial cavities im making an experiment.

Cavities

The body finished and contoured by hand.

body ready

Tzalam and mahogany

the neck its no yet finished

Other projects

My router its in Mc allen Texas, and I live in Monterrey Mexico its 3 hours in car, and i need my router to finish my project.

My idea its a lightweight bass with a powerful sound, i dont know if it sound better active or passive.

Edited by Fanatic1

Hola amigo!

Que bueno bajo!

I like youre original body. Havent tried the bartolini preamp..but i think the pups can be a little feminin for my taste. Have heard good things about the dimarzios.

I guess you have lots of nice woods in Mexico?

What about an el-guitarron!!??

Odin

Suport Denmark

:D gracias amigoo thanks Odin haha.

I hope not to sound so feminin :D

Here in Mexico we have a tremendous and incredible woods but we are a poor country and our government its completely dumb.

We sell our woods to other country, and then we bought again and paid two or three times the price for the same wood, its crazy.

And el guitarron jeje its for "el mariachi".

weaponepsilon, I have an Ibanez sr 506 5 strings with bartolini pickups and eq, but for me sound withouth taste and color B) maybe the pickups are not the bartolini originals.

Thanks skibum 5545, well mi desing its different :D the edge its weird ya?

Edited by Fanatic1

Here in Mexico we have a tremendous and incredible woods but we are a poor country and our government its completely dumb.

We sell our woods to other country, and then we bought again and paid two or three times the price for the same wood, its crazy.

weaponepsilon, I have an Ibanez sr 506 5 strings with bartolini pickups and eq, but for me sound withouth taste and color B) maybe the pickups are not the bartolini originals.

I have an Ibanez sr 406 6string and the body has 4 DIFFERENT types of wood. Not 4-ply all same wood, it consists of like basswood, flame maple, alder and I believe a little piece of maple on the side of the body. I would try and test these pickups / EQ in another bass. I really think Bartolini makes some of the best sounding mass produced bass pickups.

Edited by Jon

I dont know. The older 506s were very typical of Ibanez's Soundgear line. Mine is a solid one piece mohagany body with a five ply mohagany neck. The pickups are Bartolini mkII's. I really like the tones and the volume is louder than my 305 or 885. Go figure. I got her brand spanking new with a case for $500 when I held Guitar Center to their sale promise.