Design, Soon To Be First Project

i've been planning my first build for over a month, and came up with this semi-scaled drawing (about 1/2 scale with semi-accurate 24 and 12 fret placements, bridge, and string spread)

Here

anyway, i'm a bit of a perfectionist about design, and haven't got the lower horn quite to my liking, so suggestions are welcomed

i'm planning to take the plunge, and do it neck-through. and make the neck myself. i know a luthier who has built a number of guitars, and claims he knows good sources for hardware, so i'll take his word for that. i'm getting the lumber locally if possible. my plan is poplar (or alder if it's cheap enough, or whatever better wood i can find cheap) wings, and maple neck (laminated with whatever i can find for a reasonable price)

Just out of curiosity, i'm planning a pickguard made of two (or three, if possible) different colors of material and am wondering if/where this has been done before.

While i am a 14-year old with very little woodworking experiance besides taking shop class every year i've been able to, i am confident enough to do this, and have read through a considerable amount of info on this site. being very slightly autistic, when I get into something, i get REALLY into it, and become a complete expert on it, so don't worry that i don't know what i'm getting myself into.

planned specs- 90cm (approx. 36in) scale

24frets (somehwere between jumbo and speedbumps)

some sort of inlay (maybe small ones on odd frets, maybe just larger simple ones on 12/24

material finish top, black sides, probably natural/poor boy's burst back to shop off the neck-through

thinking of using a 0-fret

i'll probably get the hardware ordered tuesday, so i obviously won't get started actually building for a while yet, but still have time to tweak the body design until i'm completely happy.

Lookin' good. Is it going to be a headless?

Anyway, I suspect you'll need to scale up the body slightly; it looks a touch on the small side, overall. A few things:

1) draw a FULL SIZED version, with correct basic measurements: settle on width at nut, accurately mark positions of the 12th and the last fret (the rest don't matter too much for purposes of designing the drawing), get the string spacing at the bridge sorted, work from there. Working to scale simply doesn't let you get a feel for what it is you're planning. It may look right half-sized, but it could look very, very wrong when scaled up. Just get a big roll of paper and go to town.

2) I suspect you need to 'sweep' the bass side up just a little higher, make it a touch wider in the lower bout, both sides. Keep the shape on the lower horn, but make it a touch narrower (remove bulk from the outside edge), and pull the lower bout, treble side, lower as well, to increase the visual space between them. As you've drawn it, considering the scale, assuming a 2.25" string spacing, the distance between your high G and the WIDEST part of that body is maybe 3", at the very most. That's very, very little space! We're talking body wings only 2"-3" wide at that point, assuming a neck through.

Assuming a 2.25" spacing at the bridge, I make that body as being a mere 19" long (50-is cm, ok, nothing too odd there, except it's a fairly 'drawn out' body' but a scant 10" (25cm) wide. Now, that may be what you're after, but you really need to draw it up full sized to get a good feel for it. It may look right as it is (I've got a 4-string on the drawing board that's not much wider, but a little longer), but it may look too 'cramped'.

Work full size, cut out a shape when you like it, hang it somewhere you'll see it often, and make notes on it when it starts to bother you. Then trace it onto a fresh sheet of paper, adjust as necessary, and repeat the process. If you want a basic feel for the ergonomics, cut it out of cardboard. Works for me.

Edited by mattia

i'l get i drawn out full-size as soon as i get the chance, and am done my homework.

a few things about the diagram that aren't obvious- the 12 fret is about a centimeter past the edge of the pic. that wierd dark area on top is going to be carved out as a forearm contour. the center of the comet is going to be a volume knob, and the headstock design is visible on the bottom of the page, under the treble horn.

thanks for the advice.

I actually started my first project when I was 14. I just turned 16 and I'm still working on it because of monetary issues. I decided to go neck-through for my first as well, and I'm sure that it will be no problem for you. Though, I would research for a little while longer. I actually researched for nearly a year before taking the plunge.

As for the design, I see potential, but as it is I do not enjoy it. I, personally think the lower bout needs very little work. The horn is perfect and resembles that of a favorite bass of mine. Just move the bottom portion (the butt, if you will) out a bit more. The upper bout, on the other hand, could use some fuller curves. Make the waist more apparent by swooping the horn and bottom out. I would also lose the pickguard. Take these suggestions for what they are, though, the suggestions from another person who knows not what you want in your instrument.

Also, if you would like, drop in over at Talkbass.com and post in the Luthier's Corner. There are quite a few well known luthiers that frequent there, inlcuding Cliff Bordwell, Ken Smith (of who I cannot stand to speak to), etc.

okay, i've updated the plan... i've got it drawn out fullsize, and given into peer pressure by deciding to go with a natural finish (probably polymerised tung oil or something).

body shot

head shot

foot shot

would getting a nice veneer for the top be practical, with an oiled finish? then i can get a nice/classy type of wood for the top without having to spend as much... and the forearm cut i have (faintly) drawn in will accentuate the shape

also, any advice as to whether or not i should wind my own pickups? from what i've been told, homewound pickups usually sound good, as well as costing MUCH less (i'm probably not going to be paying for most of this, ralph klein is :D but i want to keep costs as low as possible).

also, i got rid of the cool comet thingy... doesn't fit well with natural finish

okay... I'll probably smooth that out a bit when I make it, and make sure to accentuate the arm contour more (black veneer layer under top wood, or something like that)

also, the headstock (i THINK it's my own design) looks like I've seen it somewhere... am I ripping any other designers/companies off here? I like to be completely original with my design.

• 3 weeks later...

update:

talked with my friend who's helping me with this, he's letting me use some of his flamed maple for the neck, but told me to get a center lam of something stiff. so, i went to the lumberyard and got some black walnut. i was REALLY lucky and found a nice peice of 4/4 crotch for CDN 6.99/board foot, as well as a straight grained peice. rubbed the crotch with a damp cloth when i got home, it's amazing. i am SO happy right now... :D

DSCN3292.jpg

and here

the crotch is going to be the top, i hope, and the nice straight piece is part of the neck. crotch isn't surfaced yet, obviously, so there's probably a bit more figure hiding in there. the pics are dry, but it shows up more when wet.

also, refined the design to a point i like. see here here and here

i just can't stop looking at that crotch.. :D

Edited by NamelessOne

the straight grained peice is mostly straight, at least on one side. the other side has some bad runout, but this is for a laminate neck so i'll only be using a bit off one side. the rest might go into the body core or something.

just got back from talking to the guy who's helping me with this. he's letting me use some of his maple for the neck, it's sparsely flamed on top but the flame really shows on the edges (quartersawn) that are going to be the most visible part.

designwise, i ditched the pickgaurd, and am planning to put the crotch on top, and the sapwoodybit on the back, with the sapwood next to the neck-through. there's a little bit of flame that'll probably end up wasted the way i'm planning to cut around the crotch, but i'll try to make it into a headstock overlay.

come on, i didn't make that many intentional tasteless jokes. i could have ranted on and on about how happy i was about my crotch wood...

• 4 weeks later...

Resaw

Verb, to resaw

to cut a piece of wood in half in the most difficult way possible. produces loud noises and copious amounts of dust. pieces may not be perfectly even, and a large amount of thinkness is lost

but it was worth it.

DSCN3298.jpg

Closeup

also, got the neck glued up. this is starting to take shape.

edit:

i might need help drawing up a wiring diagram, i'll draw what i know then ask if it works.

the pics aren't sanded, wetted or anything. that's still rough off of the saw. I don't know much about tap tuning, but if i hold it up at a node and tap it, it rings for quite a while. so i'm happy. i keep looking at the back and thinking it looks like it belongs on an acoustic...

sorry i don't have pics of the neck, it's clamped up in my friend's shop. as well as helping me, he was finishing up his first paid build, an impressive sitka/maple acoustic with a cocobolo fingerboard. very nice looking, but i don't have any pics. sorry.

re-edit:

i made a Wiring Diagram and would appreciate it if somebody told me where i'm making any mistakes... this is to be 2 pups with a seperate tone pot on each, 3-way, and a master volume.

Edited by NamelessOne