A Grand Pack Of Wood

Ok, well I just got in almost ALL the wood for my next two projects. So I thought I'd share it cause I know how we all like to oogle and google over pictures, especially us wood junkies. That's (from back left to right, then top pieces) black limba, pacific alder, purpleheart, east indian rosewood, mahogany, and spalted maple. The only wood that I'm still waiting for is my 2x4 flamed maple neck blank...

guitarwood.jpg

And to give ya'll an idea of where this gloriousness will go, one guitar is gunna be another MeuX E-Series style semi-hollow. That's the black limba back, 1/4" spalted maple/purpleheart laminated top (1/8" each with the spalt on top), and it'll have the flamed maple neck.

The alder and the mahogany are going to this concept guitar I presented earlier:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=0#entry222057

but with the change that it'll now be a solid body guitar unlike that thread, which mentioned it would be semi-hollow.

That last piece of east indian rosewood Gilmer gave me for free... and I'm guessing all I'm gunna use it for NOW is cut a strip off and make some sweet pickup rings from it.

Chris

PS: From that same purpleheart blank I also have another 8.75"x30"x1/4" that'll probably go to future laminate neck (with the extra 1"x2"x30" I'll get off that flamed maple blank coming, and some limba off the sides of that blank), and a fingerboard, and a purpleheart neck blank. (that purple heart started out as a HUGE board for a GREAT price, I got SO much out of it :D ) And I've got another 1"x"10"20" splated maple (the other bookmatched half of the one in the picture... but I don't forsee making a carved top outta that stuff... so I didn't need an 1" thick top... so I'm spliting the piece up to make two drop tops :D )

Weren't my blades, cabinet shop place.... :D

It happened (and he warned me that it could) because I was trying to get it REAL thin, like 1/8"... cause I was gunna laminate it to another piece of wood to make a laminate drop top (I was trying to get it thin like on doug's buckeyeburl/purpleheart GOTM winner a couple months ago had).

How do ya'll get your woods like that that thin?!

Chris

Weren't my blades, cabinet shop place.... :D

It happened (and he warned me that it could) because I was trying to get it REAL thin, like 1/8"... cause I was gunna laminate it to another piece of wood to make a laminate drop top (I was trying to get it thin like on doug's buckeyeburl/purpleheart GOTM winner a couple months ago had).

How do ya'll get your woods like that that thin?!

Chris

Chris,

Re-saw and drum sander or hand plane/sand. I re-saw anything that needs to lose more than 3/16". I surface thin woods before re-saw so that you have one true surface to start the re-saw. Drum sanders give you the ability to go to about .02" safely(figured or non-figured). Another plus to re-saw is that you get a (hopefully) useful veneer or maybe thicker depending on the cut. It is a much more effcient way to go.

Peace,Rich

I got it from madinter.com (europe) and it really is as black as on the picture

Madinter's ebony really is very nice. I have 6 boards here, and since I'm spending about 1000 bucks on back/side woods from them just now, I'll wait until my bank account recovers from that before blowing a few hundred more on s'more ebony boards. At E12,50 for top grade each, they're very, very good. If a bit green, perhaps (all the wood I've gotten from Madinter I'd feel more comfortable building with after having had it stacked and stickered for at least an extra year, more for ebony, if at all possible).

I got that purpleheart as a giant slab that had neough wood to make a bookmatched top, a neck blank, two 3/16" stripes for a laminate neck, and a fretboard of 3/16" thick. I bought the board off ebay and told the guy what cuts I wanted. However, that purpleheart has since been destroyed by a planer :D (well atleast the bookmatch has been). But yeah, only place I really know to get it is ebay, they have it there every now and again. The guy I got it fromw as a wood company called "Chits Wood" very nice guys. However, if you're interested in like those neck laminate stripes, or fretboard, or a neck blank (scarf size) I can do that for ya?

Chris

PS: I just checked ebay and there's TONS of purpleheart, some nice thick blanks, most of which ARE in canada. So yeah, I'd go with them. Also, keep in mind when buying this stuff, it'll brown right when cut, then leave it out in the air for awhile and it'll go purple again. Don't be afraid to buy due to color, it's all an illusion lol.