Raah!

weaponepsilon

I play bass in a band with a couple of swell guys. It started out a few years back and people came and went. Now years gone by, the band that was just a hobby thing became serious when I came across a new drummer and singer. Me and my guitarist jammed and ripped out riffs as fast as we could to match. That was about a year ago. Today, the band actually hasn't gone farther than that. We had about 10 or so songs and each time there was a practice, it seems that we'd drop a song from our set because we thought it wasn't up to par.

The drummer has another band on the side and the vocalist wants to slow down and try to do some NIN thing. My guitarist is writing near impossibly fast riffs that we play over and over and over again. The Vocalist cant even think that fast due to accumulated bong resin in his head. Simply put he cant be angry. WE are Thrash Metal. My drummer (who is almost always broke) can't seem to get it together because he seems to lose counts on songs and wont replace his tattering equipment. The guitarist is in a funk because he's been playing in a band for 6 years and never gigged once.

I asked the band on how serious they were on all of this since I was going to bail if they weren't. The whole situation had me thinking. I had been playing around for 5 years, had invested equipment and time into such an endeavor. I am getting a touch bummed out at all this and was wondering if anyone else had thought of giving up and selling off everything.

Edited by weaponepsilon

Welcome to the wonderful world of music. But really, you needn't cash *everything* in. Every aspect of playing is a seperate thing. If you sell everything off now, you might be looking for it again if another band asks you to join. So I'd keep your gear unless/until you need money.

You still have your playing & band skills. That investment was more worthwhile than 5 years of watching FEAR FACTOR, wasn't it?

I mean, think logically about quitting the band, make your decision, do your thing. But don't tie all of "bass playing" to that one band in your mind.

I think there are two main reasons people play guitars (or any instruments) :

a. you want to come up with something that sounds cool and makes people listen.

b. you want to play something cool that you or your friends like.

Not much of a difference, but I firmly fall in category a. Just like most people I started out learning songs by guitarists I liked but it gets boring and you're too restricted by it. To get the band to the kind of level you want, all the members should be in category a. They should recognise what's good in other music, but don't try to emulate it or copy it, if you do that you'll just keep coming up with the same stuff and throwing it away coz it doesn't sound 'as good' as what you're trying to emulate.

I'd say try and find musicians who are willing to be experimental and different, that's the best way to keep constantly interested, don't fix yourself to one style and as the band grows the style grows and changes.

.. Maybe I should listen to my own advise, the only people I've played with want to play Slayer covers all the time.. :D

If only it were easier to find these people and start a band with 'em...

I've actually sold all my gear--twice. Threw in the towel and said "I ain't doing this no fargin' more!" Then a few months (or a couple years) later, thought what the hell was I thinking?! and started over. Man, I wish I had back some of the guitars I let go ...

Just hang in there. Take a break from that group and clear your head. Most importantly, don't dump anything you'll wish you hadn't later. Trust me.

Its just a tad irratating when we write up a riff structure and take time to run through it only to ditch it later. I mean doing songs at 220 bpm and coming up with fast start/stop sync points and then ultimately burying it seems wasteful. My current gear consists of 7 basses, two heads, three cabs, some FX and a partridge in a pear tree. Thats of course not counting my mixer, PA, drum mics and cables, shelving, and a Rob Zombie standee. If I bail, all of that comes back with me. The only thing I can think of is selling. Like most musicians, we have the tendancy to procreate. So with the wife at school, me at work, and baby, it almost seems to be a huge draw on my time to even think about band stuff.

I dunno, I guess I'm at the low point.

Just go with it for a while, go with the flow, see how you feel in a few months. I think you should get the guys over to your house, break out a couple of beers and have a good talkk about where you want to band to go, like a good proper talk.

I had the same problem, my band was going nowhere, we had a few songs but the singer never turned up to rehearsal, the rythem guitarist couldnt be botherd learning the riffs, the drummer was a jerk. The only people interested in it were me and the bassist, and he got an offer to go to another band, he accepted. I think you just need to find a group that want to do it.

My suggestion is to never throw a riff or song away, always keep them there and listen to them every so often. I recorded loads of riffs a few years back which I would never consider good enough to go in a song, but after listening to them a few times (2 years later) I came up with some nice fills and riffs based on those old crappy pieces.

And remember to add a bit of variety in your songs, you don't want them all to be shred fests or the fans'll soon get bored and think they're 'all the same' (remember fans don't have the ears of guitarists, they listen to a melody and think it's cool where a guitarist might think it's the simplest thing ever..).

In terms of getting rid of equipment, I'd never just sell stuff.. only if I was planning on buying something better (I plan on selling all my guitars to buy a Les Paul and a Jem... eventually, it'll definitely be worth it but I don't feel like parting with my guitars just yet.)

Dope and progress just don't mix, especially during practice. If you're serious about getting anywhere, you've got to get away from potheads and hang out with committed, creative people.

Drugs are just plain stupid, they're the opposite of cool, they just soften the edges of being stupid, that's all. I speak from experience, by the way. :D

But if you (or your bandmates) have to do drugs, at least be professional enough to keep it away from practices and gigs.

Tell you what, get your pals completely sober for at least six months (it takes up to two months for your body to eliminate THC--in other words, even when you haven't toked up, you're still under the influence) and see what kind of progress you make.

Nah, maybe I didn't explain everything clearly enough. I've played with stoners before with disappointing results. I never touched anything that didn't contain less that 5% alcohol/volume. My guitarist is the same way. The drummer once showed up stoned and he did a horrid job. The singer we really dont care about, anything is an improvement. We made a deal that if the drummer didn't show up wasted, then neither would we. So far its actually worked.

My guitarist has OCD. He actually saves everything he writes. At times, he will write several versions of a song just to embellish certain points. He had literally hundreds of pieces on his PC. Problem is that if he can't find a good time to break out a new song, it never gets heard. He did write awfully complex songs, but I asked him to tone down and simplify riffs.

As far as singer boy is concerned, there isnt a concern. We'll do a gig, he'll suck, he'll be kicked out.

I've had problems with wanting to quit before. And of course (just like you) it had something to do with the band I was in.

If you found a group of people who auccually wan't to do this, than you would be happy. Just leave and find a diffrent band. Or start a band and rope in some of your friends (ones you would like to play with and wouldn't mind spending tons of time with) and have fun. :D

Are you the guy in charge? Every band has someone (should have someone) who is the nominal leader....often it is the guy who provides the majority of the equipment, like the PA and mixer. Shows commitment.

Sounds to me like the band needs a serious goal-setting sit-down session. Ask yourself what you want to do with this. Do you want to play friends parties? Do you want to gig live? Record a CD? Get a recording contract? Is this a part-time diversion? Or do you want to make a living at it?

If you are the band leader, do you have at least one other guy that you must keep with you? Sit down with him and have a heart-to-heart....make sure you both share the same goals and expectations for the band. If you're on the same page, then call all your boyz in for a meeting to see who's on board and who's not.

Once you have the personnel, then you need a plan and a timeline...be professional about it. Example:

*OK, in 12 months time we want to play The Roxy, we need 10 covers and 10 originals.

*We are going to rehearse as a band twice a week (Tues & Thurs) for 3 hours each time, learning 1 cover and working on one original each rehearsal.

*In between rehearsals, everyone needs to practice so they know their stuff cold going into rehearsal.

*In 3 months time we'll have 25% of the set done...in 6 months time, 50%....etc (mini-goals).

While all this is going on, you should be making contacts with other musicians, invite them to your rehearsals so that they can listen with an unbiased ear and give you some feedback. By doing this, you can learn about the process and at the same time maybe get some people jazzed about your band who might be there if one of the guys bails.

If you do not have a single person in the band who feels as you do, then you need to cut them all loose and find another band.

That is some sound advice man. I guess in the roundabout way, they all kinda look at me as the guy who knows everything. See, we all this sit down session about 7 or 8 months ago where we all sat down and wanted to sort out the band. We wanted to all be on the same page and reformat. WE went from a Rage Against the Machine style jam format to a hardcore Thrash Metal writing format. There was some talk about where we wanted to go in the near future. We had/have one very obscure cover and several originals. Practice was twice a week then due to time constraints, it became once a week. I've told them a few times about how I've been keeping an eye out for contacts and other musicians for pontenial gigs and such. They always reply that we arent ready for that yet.

Since I started this thread, I have spoken to the guitarist and sort of mulled over frustrations. WE recently had been relocated from our original practice studio to a different one. Hopefully everything will sound better. Then to engage the attitude for my guitarst, my old drummer and I gave him a new Les Paul axe and watched his eyes light up.

The only thing I can honestly say is that our singer has to go. And the only way to do it is gig. He'll suck live, he'll quit/get fired. That'll be that.

Welcome to the wonderful world of music. But really, you needn't cash *everything* in. Every aspect of playing is a seperate thing. If you sell everything off now, you might be looking for it again if another band asks you to join. So I'd keep your gear unless/until you need money.

You still have your playing & band skills. That investment was more worthwhile than 5 years of watching FEAR FACTOR, wasn't it?

I mean, think logically about quitting the band, make your decision, do your thing. But don't tie all of "bass playing" to that one band in your mind.

You just changed my whole perspective on a lot of things. Thanks.